• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone know about networks?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone know about networks?

So here's my question...

I have an ADSL modem/router with 4 x 100mb network ports on it. If I link a gigabit switch to it, and plug two PC's (both with gigabit cards) into it, will I get gigabit speeds, or will all traffic go through the router (thus slowing things down to 100 mb/s)?

Don't want to go buying one if I'll get the same speed by plugging both PC's directly into the router.

Thanks
    ǝןqqıʍ

PC's linked to the Gbit switch will get a Gbit connection to each other, but anything linked to the router will get 100mbit/sec speeds (apart from internet connection which will drop to the speed of your broadband link).

So all PC's plugged into switch means a local network of 1Gbit/sec.

Two PC's plugged into switch and 1 plugged into router means 1Gbit/sec for switch PC's and 100mbit/sec for the router PC, etc.

Comment

I've recently done this and now benefit from gigabit connections when the PCs (with gigabit ethernet ports) are talking to each other, and are connected directly to the gigabit switch.

Got the adsl router in the living room, connected directly to the master BT socket for maximum speed (saw almost 1mbps improvement over connecting the router to an extension), and a 10m cable connecting the router to the gigabit switch in my office. I have wireless networking turned off for security.

Adding the switch between the router and my PCs worked straight out of the box, and even get the higher speeds on older cat5 cable as they're all 10 metres in length or less.

So go for it!
      Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
      Feist - I Feel It All
      Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Think I'll be adding a gigabit switch to the xmas list.

Thanks for taking the time to reply chaps
        ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

If you plug a gigabit switch into your ADSL, you'l get an internet connection of 1 gigabyte per second, and be able to download album in 0.5 seconds.

Comment

Originally posted by PerlOfWisdom View Post
            If you plug a gigabit switch into your ADSL, you'l get an internet connection of 1 gigabyte per second, and be able to download album in 0.5 seconds.
            Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

Wasn't quite the question I was asking
              ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

die in a Pot Noodling/Winking overload.

Comment

Working...
                X