• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Irish Pigs were fed bread still in plastic bags

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Irish Pigs were fed bread still in plastic bags

From today's Times Online:

Irish pigs 'were fed bread still in plastic bags'

A farm supplier who allegedly used stale bread still in plastic wrappings for animal feed is being investigated in connection with the dioxin alert in Irish pig meat, The Times has learnt.

The full impact in Britain of the incident over cancer-causing dioxins in pork, bacon, ham and sausages produced north and south of the Irish border is still unclear.

The Food Standards agency and supermarket chiefs are still waiting to hear if pig meat from the Republic and Northern Ireland was used in leading brands such as Wall’s, Porkinson, Pork Farm and Richmond Sausages, owned by the Irish company Kerry Foods.
    What does that tell us about the safety of plastic used for food wrapping, even if it isn't eaten?!
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

It's odd really. I hunt (stalk deer, shoot wild boar, net and ferret for rabbits (sorry Ferret)), shoot and fish - have done all my life really; but I find it truly abhorrant (sp?) that someone could treat livestock so inhumanely as to feed them plastic bags.

Is it just me that thinks these things should be happy and well looked after whilst they are alive?

Cue the double standards Police...
    The squint, the cocked eye and clenched first are the cornerstones of all Merseyside communication from birth to grave

Comment

Originally posted by EqualOpportunities View Post
      It's odd really. I hunt (stalk deer, shoot wild boar, net and ferret for rabbits (sorry Ferret)), shoot and fish - have done all my life really; but I find it truly abhorrant (sp?) that someone could treat livestock so inhumanely as to feed them plastic bags.

Is it just me that thinks these things should be happy and well looked after whilst they are alive?

Cue the double standards Police...
      The ALF are going to hate having to agree with you

In the Eighties I knew a number of vegan ALF people - they weren't the kind of loonies who planted firebombs in fur shops, but they were pretty damn zealous (no honey - exploitation of bees, FFS).

They used to feed their cats vegan cat food...

It seems that, to these people, Animal Rights don't extend so far as allowing the animals the right to eat their natural diet of meat, if that happens to conflict with the petty human moral prejudices of said animals' keepers.

Somebody should liberate a grizzly bear from a zoo and send it to live with them and their turnips for a week or so

Comment

When I was younger we used to keep pigs. We used to get bread and cakes from a local supermarket. I think I used to lob them in with the wrapping still on - mainly because I was lazy. We once got a load of pork pies which I gave them also. I suspect that the do gooders will deem that piggy cannibalism is wrong too
        Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
          I suspect that the do gooders will deem that piggy cannibalism is wrong too
          Well, that depends on what parts of piggy you are feeding them.

Scrapie & BSE are both spread by feeding animals bits of other animals. That said, both sheep and cows are vegetarians so what did they expect?
          ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

If you faint in a pig pen the pigs will eat you, they will eat anything that is in front of them.

Comment

Pigs are great animals. They are intelligent and actually very clean and when you eventually grow bored of them you can eat them - something you tend not to do with a dog, unless you are Korean or something.

When I was a kid I used to get paid for looking after them. When the batch went to market I got the price of one of the piglets for my work. One time we had a sow drop 8 which is pretty small, but the piglets were pretty big. I picked the biggest and decided that would be mine and I was going to sell it seperately. I used to feed it away from its brothers and sisters ensuring that it ate as much as the other 7 put together (food was paid for by my folks - so free to me!). One day I came in to feed them and my fat little porker came 'running' to meet me were it promptly keeled over and died at my feet. It was like a big ping ball of blubber.
              Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

A mate of mine used to get all the reject mars bars, he fed them to the pigs wrapper and all!

It just comes out the other end. He won loads of awards for the best flavoured pork!
                l l l http://www.thewantedfans.com

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                  What does that tell us about the safety of plastic used for food wrapping, even if it isn't eaten?!
                  Hmm, one moment we have scare stories about the dangers of dioxins in plastics (released on heating, e.g. in the microwave) only for there to be scientific rebuttal (the reason being that there are no dioxins in plastic, although there are other nasties). So now there are dioxins in plastic after all?

Comment

Originally posted by Money Money Money View Post
                    A mate of mine used to get all the reject mars bars, he fed them to the pigs wrapper and all!

It just comes out the other end. He won loads of awards for the best flavoured pork!
                    the missus got me a mars bar on Saturday. Should I be worried ?

(\__/)
                    (>'.'<)
                    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Working...
                    X