• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Was thinking about going for a permie job

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Was thinking about going for a permie job

Never say never and all that.

But let's face it - is it worth the crap for £30+k? 2 short contracts would net that. Some are offering £20+k and asking for quite a list of stuff.

And then there's always menial work or sending the wife out if it comes to it.

Good job the mortgage was paid off when I had some cash.

Originally posted by Shimano105 View Post
    Never say never and all that.

But let's face it - is it worth the crap for £30+k? 2 short contracts would net that. Some are offering £20+k and asking for quite a list of stuff.

And then there's always menial work or sending the wife out if it comes to it.

Good job the mortgage was paid off when I had some cash.

20k a month isn't that bad though, given the circumstances.

Comment

Im surprised contractors are being entertained for permie roles. Last time things were bad, the job adverts said contractors need not apply.

OK there's probably stronger discrimination laws now but they'd still find ways not to take contractors on for permie roles, surely?
      I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Let's hope so

Comment

Just turned down a permie role in an investment bank

Got a contract to go to in the new year even though it it is only for a couple of months it has given me some hope.
          Just call me Matron - Too many handbags

Comment

Thinking about taking a permie job?

My advice:

Go and take a cold shower
            'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
            Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

In a similar boat - I am currently thinking of taking a Perm but when it gets down to it I dont think I can be asked to go through the tulipe that goes with it, whilst there are benefits as such, the thought of Permie-dom just makes it tulipe.

Might hang about till March at latest and than re-evaluate or just go away for a good 3-5 months.

Comment

Look at a permie job as a (very) low paid contract. You'll receive supposed 'job security', but since you'll want to leave on day one this will be a mute point.
                Cats are evil.

Comment

One of the big reasons to enter permiedom would be to get experience in other technologies and learn new skillsets. If the job provides this then it is worth accepting it and providing a service to the employer for a couple of years through the downturn, while you pick up this new experience.

If you simply accept a permie job because of fear, then your permiedom becomes your permiedoom, and you'll end up bitter and twisted for it.

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
                    Look at a permie job as a (very) low paid contract. You'll receive supposed 'job security', but since you'll want to leave on day one this will be a mute point.

moot point

HTH

Comment

Working...
                    X