• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

British GDP to fall below Italy's by next year

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

British GDP to fall below Italy's by next year

Well below France now and forecast to decline further.
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle5299162.ece

"Decline when it comes is swift and inexorable"
    Plato
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

CUK lefties

Thatcher's fault no doubt.

Comment

As if this is such a problem. Italy is a rich country. The south is poor because it’s corrupt and it sucks finances out of the north and makes the whole lot look a bit shabby, but northern Italy is one of Europe’s richest economies; so rich in fact that it can feed another region it's own size while still maintaining a good standard of living. Just being a little bit less rich than people from Turin or Bologna doesn’t make anyone poor.
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

I blame Arthur Scargill.
        ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

I blame Arthur Scargill, Maggie Thatcher, all the shop stewards in British Leyland, all the managers in British Leyland, and Bevin, amongst others.
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
            I blame Arthur Scargill, Maggie Thatcher, all the shop stewards in British Leyland, all the managers in British Leyland, and Bevin, amongst others.
            I think Churchill and Alfred were ok though

(\__/)
            (>'.'<)
            ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
              As if this is such a problem. Italy is a rich country. The south is poor because it’s corrupt and it sucks finances out of the north and makes the whole lot look a bit shabby, but northern Italy is one of Europe’s richest economies; so rich in fact that it can feed another region it's own size while still maintaining a good standard of living. Just being a little bit less rich than people from Turin or Bologna doesn’t make anyone poor.
              Yes they make cars up north and their small-medium enterprises make luxury goods that are desired all around the world.
              We could do that ....no wait ....
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

You forgot MacMillain, Wilson and Winston Churchhill.

In fact the downhill slide started with King John.
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                  Yes they make cars up north and their small-medium enterprises make luxury goods that are desired all around the world.
                  We could do that ....no wait ....
                  Indeed; they have a strong manufacturing base. Add to that, Fiat freed themselves from GM and returned to their traditional strength of making small, efficient, stylish cars just as the oil price started shooting upwards and demand for gas guzzlers fell through the floor. This year they've sold so many pandas, 500s and Lancia Ypsilons (I don't think you have them in the UK but Italy's teeming with the things) to people who want a fun, fuel efficent runabout that they're struggling to make the things quickly enough.
                  And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                    returned to their traditional strength of making small, efficient, stylish cars ...a fun, fuel efficent runabout
                    Surely you refer to the Micra?

Comment

Working...
                    X