• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Holmes 2

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Holmes 2

Anyone able to give an exec summary of this? http://www.holmes2.com/holmes2/whatish2/

HOLMES 2 is an investigation management system to assist law enforcement organisations in their management of the complex process of investigating serious crimes. It enables them to improve effectiveness and productivity in crime investigations, helping to solve crimes more quickly and improve detection rates.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by BigTime View Post
      Anyone able to give an exec summary of this? http://www.holmes2.com/holmes2/whatish2/
      No problem:

HOLMES 2 is an investigation management system to assist law enforcement organisations in their management of the complex process of investigating serious crimes. It enables them to improve effectiveness and productivity in crime investigations, helping to solve crimes more quickly and improve detection rates.
      HTH
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

It helps people find people.

Comment

is it anything special or does every country have something similar?

Comment

is it anything special or does every country have something similar?
            We have our own one up here in haggis land. Words cannot describe how tulip these systems are. I am sure Holmes2 will be more of the same, just that it is PFI.

It says it all that after 20 years of writing these systems they don't have the experience to write the next version and just outsource the job.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
              We have our own one up here in haggis land. Words cannot describe how tulip these systems are. I am sure Holmes2 will be more of the same, just that it is PFI.

It says it all that after 20 years of writing these systems they don't have the experience to write the next version and just outsource the job.
              thanks minestrone. just bs then. i was asked "the Home office finds it important to report that it has used a 'virtual national intelligence database on the Holmes 2 system'"

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                Words cannot describe how tulip these systems are.
                More PR spin here

I seem to remember from way back that the original system (HOLMES) was total carp when that was introduced.

Comment

I actually felt quite guilty working on these systems and eventually left because I was sick of challenging the rampant insanity which is on show everywhere.

I think the last straw was an argument I had with the technical lead who told me that they had used doubles as primary keys on all the databases because they dramatically increased query performance. They guy told me he commissioned a report which proved this. They never bothered with indexing. By that point I found myself banging my head off the table.

One system was replacing an existing mainframe application and the spec was to write it as a web app but make it look exactly like the old one. They wrote tons of javascript to capture keystrokes and do all the navigation but never realised that the users were running different browsers and the javascript only worked on IE. The whole thing eventually got rewritten at great expense.

Comment

Working...
                  X