• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BBC TV Licensing for a computer at home ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBC TV Licensing for a computer at home ?

I don't have a TV , only a computer.

Just had a guy in my home , who told me he worked for the government ( I assumed this is about the BBC TV licensing. )

So after finding no TVs in my flat , he asked if "I Was watching live TV programs on my computer" ?

There are some TV streaming sites online , but I never encountered BBC on these sites.

A TV card counts as a TV.

I bought one and had to give my address over.

Comment

Originally posted by juststarting View Post
      Just had a guy in my home , who told me he worked for the government ( I assumed this is about the BBC TV licensing. )
      You let a guy in your home without finding out what it was about?
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

According to this link BBC thinks you have to PAY for ANY Internet LIVE Television that is broadcast within the UK . - Is that so ?

"
        The TV Licensing Authority says you need a licence to watch any TV station broadcasting within the UK on your computer.

However, you are free to watch archived programmes or downloadable clips without a licence.
        "

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/5081350.stm

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
          You let a guy in your home without finding out what it was about?
          Yeah I am angry with myself.

He rang on the door saying "We have a letter for you". I fell for that. I am such idiot - letter at 19.00 ??!?!

Then he comes at the door , tells me he is from TV Licensing. Without further a due he passes me and enters the flat . Then he started harassing me to pay the fee since I had a PC. He did not clarify whether it was BBC Live streams I had to be watching to be liable for the fee. In fact he said "If you watch LIVE TV".

I lied. I do watch online TV but not BBC. As far as I know this is a BBC-only thing not ANY Internet TV as this guy and seemingly this implies http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/informa...ndex.jsp#link1
          Last edited by juststarting; 8 December 2008, 19:31.

Comment

Enforcement officers work for Capita, they have no right of entry.

Comment

So anyone that has a broadband connection needs a TV license? Yeah right, nice try BBC.
              Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Personally I would have refused him entry, and if he entered I would have called the coppers.
                The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

Comment

Originally posted by juststarting View Post
                  Yeah I am angry with myself.

He rang on the door saying "We have a letter for you". I fell for that. I am such idiot - letter at 19.00 ??!?!

Then he comes at the door , tells me he is from TV Licensing. Without further a due he passes me and enters the flat . Then he started harassing me to pay the fee since I had a PC. He did not clarify whether it was BBC Live streams I had to be watching to be liable for the fee. In fact he said "If you watch LIVE TV".

I lied. I do watch online TV but not BBC. As far as I know this is a BBC-only thing not ANY Internet TV as this guy and seemingly this implies http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/informa...ndex.jsp#link1
                  He had no right to do that.

On the link you provide, I can see no reference to "BBC only". AFAIK (and as per linked page) you need a licence if you watch live TV, i.e. watch programmes as they are shown on TV.

I would not think that you are under any obligation to tell them what you do, and I wouldn't (I am guessing that one day it will become payable to watch TV anytime on a PC, not just live, so it would be a shame to have admitted that). I suppose you are actually not obliged to assert that you don't do anything in particular either, that is, you don't even have to tell him that you don't watch TV. "Get out of my house immediately or I will call the police" is really all you need.

Comment

I would have punched him, told the coppers he barged in and that I was scared for my safety.

Comment

Working...
                    X