• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Gettin rent deposit back if leaving prematurely ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gettin rent deposit back if leaving prematurely ?

Is there a tricky way that could let you get your rent deposit back when you move out before the end of the contract ? For example claiming there is no work in the area or something like that ? Or saying that it is a dangerous neighborhood to live in ? ( Got today another egg splashed in my window , someone hates me here AND IT IS NOT some female aspiring for my attention )

The deposit is kept with the appointed government agency.

i think you will lose the deposit unless you have a break clause in the contract.

Comment

....and maybe pursued for outstanding rent.... and will have an awful reference if you DO find somewhere nice to live.

You're a contractor FFS, can you have your butler give them a sound thrashing?
      And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Breaking Contract

I would consider my options very carefully before bailing out of the contract.

As stated, if you do a runner you can be pursued for the outstanding rent.

However if you are not worried about maybe getting a CCJ, not worried that the landlord will come and break your teeth with a mallet or moving far away then just bail, and on your way out, return the keys to your agent and tell them you are going.

In all probability the landlord will cut his losses and rent it out again and will forget about you, but if becuase the rental market is depressed he decides to pursue it, you may have a bit of a headache
        There are no evil thoughts except one: the refusal to think

Comment

Wouldn't the best and less painful option to try to find a replacement tennant? Once they have one, they would have no reason to keep your deposit.
          I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Having had to get out of a contract due to finding a new job elsewhere a few years ago, I can tell you this:

You'll have to pay up.

Contractually you're done for (unless you do have a break clause)

Comment

Surely it depends on what contact details they have for you? If the only contacts details are for the flat you are renting then just do one. They can only track you to the flat and if you paid/pay in cash then theres no bank details either.. We tend to offer 3 months up front instead of going through a credit check etc - landlords are usually happy to take that - then if you need to split you just leave (assuming you've gone through your 3 months first)
              The mind is its own place, and in itself, can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven

Comment

Originally posted by Beefy198 View Post
                Having had to get out of a contract due to finding a new job elsewhere a few years ago, I can tell you this:

You'll have to pay up.

Contractually you're done for (unless you do have a break clause)
                I will have to pay up ? Sorry but "get out of here".

I have lost my deposit before for leaving early but they did not sue. Plus it doesnt make sense. Say I don't have money and cannot keep paying the rent.... anyway I will call the tenant protection agency and ask. Thanks all.

Comment

I think the last one I had explicity said you were liable for at least until they found a new tenant (or the original term was up), but I'd bet some would try to take you for the rest of the term no matter what.

You shouldn't have signed the contract if you didn't agree to the terms.
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Sublet at more than you're paying.
                    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                    Feist - I Feel It All
                    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Working...
                    X