• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Got kids between 1986-2003?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got kids between 1986-2003?

Saw this on another forum, thought I would share:-

Information for Parents

Unclaimed Children’s Tax Allowance for 2002/3

The year before Tax Credits were introduced there was a different non-means tested allowance available which was never advertised by the Inland Revenue.

It is called the Children’s Tax Allowance for the Year 2002/3.

You can still claim this tax allowance before the 31 January 2009 deadline.

You need to phone HMRC on 0845 302 1414 and ask them to check whether you have already received this allowance and, if not, enquire as to what action you need to take.

You are eligible to claim £520.00 allowance if;

*You have a child born between 6 April 1986 and 5 April 2003
    *The child lived with you for all or part of 2002/2003
    *You worked and paid tax for all or part of 2002/2003
    *You or your partner earned £6,000 plus in the year 2002/2003 tax year

You are eligible for the £1,040 allowance if;

*If you can answer yes to the four questions above, and
    *One of your children was born between 6 April 2002 and 5 April 2003

Notes:-

*Making a claim does not affect your current or future entitlement to Working or Child Tax credits.
    *Your Marital status is irrelevant
    *You cannot claim the allowance twice and if your final tax code on your April 2003 P60 ended in a H or a T, you have already had the allowance.
    *This is an easy claim for you to make so do not get duped into paying someone to do it for you because they are likely to charge a large percentage for their services.
    The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...html?t=1281837

They state the phone number above is for an agency who will act on your behalf, and charge you £94 to get the money.

MSE state to use this form, and claim yourself:

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/forms/11ctc.pdf

Comment

Forum link is broken ...

Comment

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...html?t=1281837

Comment

ta muchly

Comment

Very useful thread - thanks

I case anyone else uses the form above there is no address : I phoned and was told :-

HMRC
            Castle House
            31, Lisbon Street,
            Leeds
            LS1 4SA

Comment

Cool Thread. Thanks for sharing. Rang tax office and I'm eligible. Woo hoo!

The money is worth the same as 10 weeks contracting up north. Hmmm maybe my agent is ripping me off.

Comment

Nice.

Do those of us who choose not to have kids get rewarded to ?

After all, we don't claim child benefits.
                We don't use extra NHS services for the children.
                We don't claim a pleothera of other child related perks.

All of the above which typically cost the Government money.

Can we have a rebate ?
                Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
                  Nice.

Do those of us who choose not to have kids get rewarded to ?

After all, we don't claim child benefits.
                  We don't use extra NHS services for the children.
                  We don't claim a pleothera of other child related perks.

All of the above which typically cost the Government money.

Can we have a rebate ?
                  Where do you think all the people that serve you on a daily basis come from? From delivering your local paper or manning the tills at the petrol station to flying the plane you go on holiday in or supplying your gas and electricity. They were all children once.

How were they educated to a level where they could do their jobs? Who got them to school every day and paid for their school uniform, food and any number of other extras that come up every day when you're raising children?

The reward you get is the society around you, but you get it cheaper than the people that actually bother to have children do.

Comment

but you get it cheaper than the people that actually bother to have children do.
                    I'd think I'd get it a lot cheaper if a portion of my taxes wasn't taken to subsidise those that do.

I've got no problem contributing a portion of my taxes to pay for public services.

However, I feel a trifle peeved having to subsidise other people's reproductive choices.

Case in point...spoke to a chap last night who had come back from his local. He was telling me about his mate's partner. She's got 17 children from 5 different fathers. (He's the fifth partner).

Suffice to say, the money they make from their children is no small amount, and allows them to live at the taxpayer's expense in their local every night.
                    Neither he nor his partner need to work.
                    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Working...
                    X