• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

VS.Net 2005 Release Date

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VS.Net 2005 Release Date

We are moving from VB6 to VB.Net/C# for a new project.

We are aware that VS.Net 2005 is due shortly and would prefer to develop under that rather than 2003 and then consider an upgrade.

I have heard rumoured dates for its release of 7th November.

Does anyone know if this date is more than a rumour or have any 'concrete' information.

Thanks.
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it" - George Bernard Shaw

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/p...005Day2PR.mspx

ORLANDO, Fla. — June 7, 2005 — On the second day of Microsoft® Tech•Ed 2005, Microsoft Corp. continued to speak about the investments the company and industry partners are making across its products to ensure that IT organizations can effectively leverage the Microsoft platform and existing skill sets to maximize value, reduce cost and complexity, and ease the deployment of new applications. As part of the keynote address, Paul Flessner, senior vice president of Server Applications at Microsoft, showed the company’s continued momentum in preparation for the launch of SQL Server™ 2005, Visual Studio® 2005 and BizTalk® Server 2006, and announced that these products will be formally launched during the week of Nov. 7. This launch represents a significant milestone and demonstrates Microsoft’s commitment to delivering the next-generation platform for connected systems that provides unparalleled developer productivity, ability to effectively handle mission-critical applications and an infrastructure to provide better insight into business decisions.

Well that's their plan. As far as I know there isn't going to be a slip on these dates.

Comment

Thanks for that. Just what I was after.

Will just keep on with the Beta until November I think.
      "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it" - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

VS 2005 Release for MSDN subscribers

If any of you have MSDN subscriptions, then you can now download the actual Release To Market of Visual Studio.Net 2005 Professional & SQL Server 2005 Professional.

I am unsure if these will change prior to 7th November and the official release date, but they appear to be the actual releases !!

Comment

Will check it out. Thanks for the nod.

Comment

'Express' editions of VS2005 are available legally (from MSDN website), with a license for a year. However, I'm not sure how crippled the software or the license is.

Comment

I was recently offered a contract that needed 6 months commercial experience of ASP.NET 2.0!... and this was before it had even been released! Apparently, some companies have been building apps exclusively on the beta for some time now... which has also required several re-writes as the code base changed!

Do some people never learn?

Comment

A gamble yes, but it can pay off.

I know a few companies who started work on commercial apps using the first .NET beta. Some re-writing/changes perhaps but it did give them some advantage in the market...until some of the developers left and took up contracting I guess...

Comment

My personal advice, if asked in the role of technical advisor, would be to avoid .Net 2 for at least 6 months....

Security flaws, bugs etc, need to be ironed out... to develop production apps with beta software... well, thats just plain crazy.
                  Vieze Oude Man

Comment

Originally posted by gkellett
                    If any of you have MSDN subscriptions, then you can now download the actual Release To Market of Visual Studio.Net 2005 Professional & SQL Server 2005 Professional.
                    Yes, have been using that for several weeks.
                    I actually downloaded both DVDs, but when I installed it only required one, and I use it to program for PDAs in various languages so I did ask for everything to be installed.

I really don't like the integration of management tools for SQL Server into the IDE. There again on the back ends I tend to use MySQL/Oracle and Ruby on Rails anyway.
                    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Working...
                    X