• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Credit crunch stories - got any?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Credit crunch stories - got any?

Was speaking to my Mum last night on the phone, she was telling me her good friends who we will call Bob & Audrey who I've met a few times were on the point of bankruptcy after their motor business (car sales) had completely crashed leaving them losing £2.5k a week (for how long I don't know).

At one point they were taking a good £4k a week profit and living a very nice lifestyle, now they've had to take £30k out their home to keep things afloat and now face losing everything (inc. their home).
    The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

Was talking to my neighbour the other day.

Me: "So what you up to this weekend?"

Him: "Oh you know, staying in. Can't really afford much else, credit crunch and all that"...(glances over my shoulder at the new Merc on the drive).."Got a new car?"

Me:"....erm...yeah"

Credit crunch? Whats one of them?

"Keep them at 24,000"
    "No, feet"

Comment

Originally posted by TCL View Post
      Was talking to my neighbour the other day.

Me: "So what you up to this weekend?"

Him: "Oh you know, staying in. Can't really afford much else, credit crunch and all that"...(glances over my shoulder at the new Merc on the drive).."Got a new car?"

Me:"....erm...yeah"

That'll come in handy when you're on the bench next year. After depreciation it should provide, I don't know, 6 months worth of food.
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

I received a call from an agent asking if I was available for a contract. I told them to call me in six months' time when I should be available.

Same thing happened yesterday.

Credit Crunch looking OK here (though I'm certainly not counting chickens... )
        Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by TCL View Post
          Would have been a Maybach if it hadn't been for the credit crunch
          Coffee's for closers

Comment

Got credit crunched back in March - 6 month gig ended after 4 months - another six contractors bit the dust - was an Investment bank in early warning mode so I had a good idea from insiders what was coming up for the economy in general.

Stil ...had a great summer off and got a great gig in the Autumn then extensions for next year - so, in a way -the credit crunch was pretty good for me.

Wont work in the banking sector again - not for moi - didnt like the mindset.

Engineering/Research - thats where to work.
            Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 9 December 2008, 16:49.

Comment

My mum and stepdad have 10 houses on BTL, they were thinking of declaring themselves bankrupt last week as two tenants owe them lots of money and the cash flow has dried up.

I persuaded them to hang in there and do whatever it takes as the rate cuts hadn't fully kicked in, he's gone out driving taxi's and mum is working in a nursing home (neither have worked for 5 years), I'll be buggered if I'm going to see their retirement plan/my inheritance go down the drain.
              Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
                I'll be buggered if I'm going to see their retirement plan/my inheritance go down the drain.
                That's the spirit. Maybe you can arrange for them to sell a kidney too? I mean, they'd still have three between them.

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
                  k as two tenants owe them lots of money and the cash flow has dried up.

Did they not take out ropey tenant insurance?
                  ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Speaking of depreciation, 06 M5 500bhp 10k miles > £61k new
                    sub 30k
                    The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Working...
                    X