• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Too much...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Too much...

...self-congratulation on here lately when people get a poxy 3 month extension on their current contract.

I don't mean to be a grumpypants, but it's getting like London Underground when they congratulate themselves over the tannoy for having a good service. Or Steve Coogan's swimming pool attendant on The Day Today when he lists all the years when "no one died".

An extension means your microcompany has failed to attract any more customers for the nth time. Some sense of reality please folks!

Harsh....

Comment

Originally posted by Tingles View Post
      Harsh....
      ....but fair
      Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

When life offers you a dream so far beyond any of your expectations, is it not reasonable to grieve when it comes to an end?

Comment

Grumpypants!!
          The pope is a tard.

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
            ...self-congratulation on here lately when people get a poxy 3 month extension on their current contract.

I don't mean to be a grumpypants, but it's getting like London Underground when they congratulate themselves over the tannoy for having a good service. Or Steve Coogan's swimming pool attendant on The Day Today when he lists all the years when "no one died".

An extension means your microcompany has failed to attract any more customers for the nth time. Some sense of reality please folks!
            Well, I do tend to agree, but that's probably because I'm on the bench, but I have been considering awarding smug points to many of the current 'I'm alright Jack' posts.
            However having said that it is nice to hear of other folk getting work
            I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
            CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
            CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Pogle View Post
              Well, I do tend to agree, but that's probably because I'm on the bench, but I have been considering awarding smug points to many of the current 'I'm alright Jack' posts.
              However having said that it is nice to hear of other folk getting work
              The IT Sector is doing pretty well this time around - tough if youre a banker I guess - but who gives tuppence for those shysters ?

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post

I don't mean to be a grumpypants
                But you are a grumpypants. In the current market, people are scared of being out of work and a lot of clientcos are getting rid of contractors; getting an extension in these conditions is something to celebrate.

Let people enjoy their little successes instead of judging everyone by your own standards.
                And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Three month extensions are the norm for a lot of contractors, so they aren't really "poxy". I don't think most people are being smug or self-congratulatory, just letting others know the general state of the market for contractors. I thought the thread with about 20 people saying they had extensions, in this climate and just before Xmas, was very encouraging.

Comment

Originally posted by Pogle View Post
                    ...I have been considering awarding smug points to many of the current 'I'm alright Jack' posts.
                    I agree with you there, they sometimes come across like that, but the alternatives are to:

a) not tell each other what we're up to (the European Commission solution)

b) tell lies (the New Labour solution)

c) don't celebrate but apologise for getting work (the Politically Correct solution)

So I'd rather hear from people, it brings some optimism to the board.

Comment

Working...
                    X