• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How small can the get (houses/flats)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How small can the get (houses/flats)

I went to see an Auction property at the weekend.

It's a 2 bed in South West London, guided at 200K.

It was the smallest, most pokiest flat that I had ever seen. It can't have been more than 25 sq m. I wouldn't believe that it was possible to get 2 beds in that space if I hadn't seen it for myself.

Anyone seen smaller?

tim

Other countries do it better - they publicize the square meterage of their flats/apartments when up for sale. Coz we're a semi in the suburbs type of place, this doesn't happen, and (like a lot of things) we pay more for less.

But we do have stricter alcohol measurements!
    Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

not so long agao they were marketing 250k converted broom cupboards as flats in central London. I wonder how much those are worth now?
      The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
        not so long agao they were marketing 250k converted broom cupboards as flats in central London. I wonder how much those are worth now?
        249k, but "open to offers"
        Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

I went to see a "flat" in Oxford that turned out to be a converted garage in somebody's back garden. The weird thing is that the agent had arranged for 20 odd people to see it. Then later that afternoon I went to see a real tulip-hole of a house for rent in Cowley and the same 20 odd people turned up, trampled all round the house whilst the current occupants were still there in the middle of the day watching TV.
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
            I went to see a "flat" in Oxford that turned out to be a converted garage in somebody's back garden. The weird thing is that the agent had arranged for 20 odd people to see it. Then later that afternoon I went to see a real tulip-hole of a house for rent in Cowley and the same 20 odd people turned up, trampled all round the house whilst the current occupants were still there in the middle of the day watching TV.
            Hoy - AND DON'T COME BACK!!! I missed the end of Kilroy that day....

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
              At least you (generally) know what you are going to see when you get there.

I didn't, I was expecting to see a "proper" two bed. I was expecting small, but not doll sized.

What I saw was a joke. Annoyingly, it would have made an OK one bed and I might have been interested.

I can see that in the height of the boom, squasing an extra bedroom into the same space added 50K to the price, but it doesn't now, it just (IMHO) makes it unsellable.

The silly layout makes it a difficult rental as well. Even at 200K the yield is only 5% (I saw one on offer in the letting agent).

I will be genuinely surprised if it reaches the guide (will know on Monday)

tim

Comment

Allsops eh?
                The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by tim123 View Post
                  What I saw was a joke. Annoyingly, it would have made an OK one bed and I might have been interested.

Just knock the wall down seperating the two bedrooms. I hope you're not calling yourself a developer, property or otherwise!

Though if it really was 25 sqm (about the size of the living room I'm currently sat in ), maybe 2 beds means 2 beds is all you can get in the place.

Ideal for those addicted to pot noodles though, you just need to know your market.
                  Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                  Feist - I Feel It All
                  Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
                    Just knock the wall down seperating the two bedrooms. I hope you're not calling yourself a developer, property or otherwise! .
                    Just wasn't possible.

Best option would be to knock down the wall between the living room and the second bedroom and turn the 2nd bathroom into the kitchen.

This would, at least, provide a sensible sized living area, but would still leave a stupid shaped, 6ft by 15ft bedroom, with the toilet now only accessible via the bedroom.

And I'm not looking at developing a property. I'm taking advantage of the downturn to buy for my retirement (as in: to live in, not to pay for).

tim

Comment

Working...
                    X