• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Royal Mail missing a trick

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Royal Mail missing a trick

Instead of taking sides on the "should stamps at Christmas show a religious theme?", the R Mail should sell special stamps (7pence extra) for all the various groups. I reckon supporters of Happy Eid will buy a load of their stamps; there'd be a few "traditional Xtian" supporters who'd buy Xtian themed stamps.

I should be made boss of R Mail. I reckon I could earn a few bob for Britain.

stamping
    Last edited by MrMark; 9 December 2008, 20:31. Reason: link added
    Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

How many places are going to take a parcel with Eid on it?

Comment

Eid isn't at Christmas. Nor are (for example) Vaisakhi or Diwali.

Why would people want to buy a stamp celebrating something that happened a few months ago?

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
        Eid isn't at Christmas. Nor are (for example) Vaisakhi or Diwali.

Why would people want to buy a stamp celebrating something that happened a few months ago?
        1) Eid (the giving day festival) was this week. Maybe you're thinking of Ramadan? Anyway it changes each year - but so could the stamp issue

2) So far as I'm aware you can use xmas stamps after 25 Dec. I'm not 100% certain tho.
        Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by MrMark View Post
          1) Eid (the giving day festival) was this week. Maybe you're thinking of Ramadan? Anyway it changes each year - but so could the stamp issue

2) So far as I'm aware you can use xmas stamps after 25 Dec. I'm not 100% certain tho.
          Stamps are valid forever. It looks rubbish though.....

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
            The squint, the cocked eye and clenched first are the cornerstones of all Merseyside communication from birth to grave

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
              how many Muslims would celebrate Christmas?!?!

LOL this has got to be Post of the year!

Comment

Originally posted by MrMark View Post
                Do you mean Eid al-Adha? (Ramadan is a month, the end of which is Eid ul-Fitr.)

The point is that it changes each year, so issuing alternative stamps at Christmas bearing symbolism relevant to Islam would make no sense. Similarly with issuing a Vaisakhi-related stamp (April) or a Diwali-related one (October/November) alongside ones bearing Christian imagery appropriate for Christmas.

Comment

Originally posted by Liability View Post

Good call. Lol
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by Liability View Post

According to my Muslin chum, Jesus is considered a prophet in Islam and so Christmas can be celebrated as his birthday.
                    I expect that the more fundamentalists Muslims would not agree as they would only celebrate Muslim festivals.
                    I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
                    CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
                    CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Working...
                    X