• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Programmer burnout?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Programmer burnout?

I don't know where to post as it's certainly not Light Relief...

Basically I'm tired with the whole IT and corporate world.

My contract is likely to get extended, but I'm willing to let it go.

The only problem is what next?

All of my roles were purely technical so far and I was so happy that I could differentiate myself by being skilled in a given area and being able to provide a solid technical solution to the requirements given.

But the problem I see all the time, is that problems are not technical at all. Technolgical complexity is only a result of some strange human behaviour.

On one hand, no amount of technology can solve people's emotional problems, on the other, that's why it's pure and logical - if sth doesn't work and we know why, we can fix that. Not so with humans.

Still it seems the right thing to try and solve those problems earlier on and rather than forcing poor programmers to implement complex business rules, simplify those requirements at design stage.

So my idea is to start moving away from purely technical positions into more business oriented ones, but it's got many problems:

1. I was hoping to stay out management for another 10 years or possibly forever (except I'm managing my own projects anyway and even coordinating a small team right now).
    2. I have that little bit of edge right now in grasp of technology and people are willing to pay decent money for those skills, moving into more business-oriented role, I suppose I'd have to start much lower or maybe even as a permie?
    3. The position that I'm thinking of right now is more or less a Business Analyst, is this a good shift, or should I go the Team Lead - Project Manager - etc route?
    4. In times of economic slowdown, should I not be holding on to my existing contract?
    Last edited by xchaotic; 9 December 2008, 23:44. Reason: typos

Originally posted by xchaotic View Post
    On one hand, no amount of technology can solve people's emotional problems, on the other, that's why it's pure and logical - if sth doesn't work and we know why, we can fix that. Not so with humans.

Not true, go look up soft systems methodology.
    The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

Comment

I've worked with BA's and PM's who've come from programming backgrounds, it's entirely possible and doesn't necessarily imply a drop in rate or seniority to make the move. For that matter it's quite typical and usually makes better PM's than people with no technical history in my experience.
      My background was infrastructure networks and systems, becoming a PM was just progression in much the same way you appear to be heading. I started as an engineer, moved through leading teams, work streams and stages to managing the projects and programmes.

Comment

With regards to systems thoery, for me it's yet another reason to move in that area - I find all that very interesting and have very little theoretical background so more room to grow.

Yet my main question is, is it worthwhile? Is it not early...

Judging by your recent experience chris79, I'll end up with the same data entry position you did
        (btw. props for walking off, big cojones)
        Last edited by xchaotic; 10 December 2008, 00:18.

Comment

Obvously you're referring to Chris's recent issue.

From my perspective I enjoy managing projects, I find it much more challenging than technical stuff these days as I spend less than 10% of my time on IT issues.
          To me it's worthwhile.

Comment

I wouldn't let me recent story put you off, that was just unfortunate. I think it all depends on your own persona, what you want from life, and what gives you enjoyment.

If you like speaking to people, understanding systems, translating soft (human) problems into hard solutions then the BA or maybe PM role would be a fun thing to do. Equally if your comfort zone is to stick with what you know and use those skills to produce something, if you are happy doing this then stick with it.

There's always a bit of risk in trying to move direction a bit (like my recent story), but sometimes the risk will lead to a better reward either in terms of financial, or personal gain. Last week I was benched so had little to lose trying out the role I took (then walked).. I'll keep doing it until either the right thing comes along (or I run out of money)!
            The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

Comment

whatever happened to Systems Analysts?
              The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
                whatever happened to Systems Analysts?
                It turned out they were the ones who'd been saying "Use two digits for the 'Year' value, somebody else can fix it if they're still using this crock of tulip in 1999."

They were then rounded up by an élite unit from GCHQ, and incarcerated in a secret base beneath the ruined village of Imber. There they were forced to debug COBOL day and night - a terrible experience for many, as they didn't actually know how to create, modify, or use systems; just how to analyse them.

Once it was apparent that the menace threatened by their previous aberrations had passed, January 1st 2000 was the occasion of the Ceremonial Immolation of Systems Analysts.

A few sought to leave the ceremony before receiving their just rewards.

None managed to make it across Salisbury Plain to freedom.

Comment

I only want to point out one thing. Many people keep saying that becoming a BA or a PM is an evolution. Yet can somebody explain why there are many people who can switch from a programmer role to a BA/PM but no one can do the opposite?

Guys, let's face it, to be a programmer you need specific skills which you can't build up with experience. Not to say that other roles are less difficult but to me programmers are the most difficult roles and should be rewarded well, as you do find very few of them around (and yes even in our cheap pool of resources like India, it's still very hard to find some real programmers). I am somehow in the middle, mainly because most analysts are not real analysts and so you have to end up doing business analysis for them (or "supporting" them, as they like to say), however I do enjoy mostly the technical part despite I find it very unrewarding, compared to other areas where there are less skilled resources and you can get along with mediocre inputs.
                  I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Just re-label yourself or skill up as an architect and you'll be earning more, be involved in business level discussions and be capitalising on your existing skill set.

Comment

Working...
                    X