• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working in the Euro Zone

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working in the Euro Zone

Looks like I might have the opportunity to work in the Euro Zone for a while on a new contract. Trying to negotiate a 2000 Euro - 3 day week.

Contract would be for a year and primarily I'll fly over Monday night and come back Thursdays.

Now, whats the deal with working outside the UK and tax. Anyone explain the tax situation to me here?

MF
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Get me a job outside of the UK too please

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
      Looks like I might have the opportunity to work in the Euro Zone for a while on a new contract. Trying to negotiate a 2000 Euro - 3 day week.

Contract would be for a year and primarily I'll fly over Monday night and come back Thursdays.

Now, whats the deal with working outside the UK and tax. Anyone explain the tax situation to me here?

MF
      Generally if you can prove you're not in the country for more than 183 days, Jan thru Dec, you're ok. Also, by not registering anywhere or having a local bank account you probably fall under the radar.

That's my "head in the sand" approach anyway.

Edit: Just to note that I meant you're not liable for German tax. UK tax, yes.
      Last edited by Pondlife; 10 December 2008, 16:01. Reason: clarity

Comment

My understanding

Is that the siuation you describe that Hector will not consider you non-resident for UK tax reasons therefore you will be liable to UK tax on all worldwide earnings.

If you pay tax in the Euroland country then this is taken into account with the joint tax agreements in place.

Things such as whether you get a hotel or rent a serviced apartment will influence whether the Euroland country you are going to consider you resident for their tax purposes.

Comment

Suggest you do research on a thing called "Perpetual Traveller", there are many UK contractors wandering Euroland doing this.

Comment

MF

You'll remain resident in UK for tax purposes so nothing changes as far as your UK taxes go, assuming you use your UK Ltd co. You'll be in the foreign country less than 180 days so don't bother registering or doing anything silly like opening a local bank account.

Comment

MF welcome back to the dark side

what happened in permiedom ?

Milan.

Comment

MF
                On this basis you will still be in the UK 4 days a week (Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday) times 52 weeks equals 208 days. So you will be tax resident in the UK for your worldwide earnings and need to declare it to HMIT.

HTH

tim

Comment

You'll probably be tax resident in both places...now we've had a big discussion about this and it isn't easy, the worst case is that the UK will charge you some difference between tax already paid in the other EU country, that is if the Euro zone tax rate is lower. Now my understanding of the double taxation treaties is that only dividends or interest is subject to this form of tax credits, and in the treaties I've read it clearly states tax credits for divis, but not for employment or income for personal services.

Unfortunatley you'll probably need tax advice both where you will be working and in the UK. Don't rely on a UK accountant, for tax advice where you will be working.
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                  X