• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The death of contracting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The death of contracting

I am noticing that more and more companies are not interested in real contractors (meaning no need of being in the office all the time, possibility of taking long leaves, short term commitment and so on) any longer. All they want is permies with a shorter notice and a slightly higher premium to pay for this flexibility.

Discuss or else talk about the pound.
    I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Originally posted by Francko View Post
    How about the Kilo, i'm more comfortable with metic units
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

I am noticing that more and more companies are not interested in real contractors (meaning no need of being in the office all the time, possibility of taking long leaves, short term commitment and so on) any longer. All they want is permies with a shorter notice and a slightly higher premium to pay for this flexibility.

I don't mind, but I hope the premiums stay good.

Comment

Originally posted by contractor79 View Post
        I don't mind, but I hope the premiums stay good.
        Well I do mind. When I started contracting I thought of it as a political revolution, as the masses freed from the oppressors and the stinky capitalist who will drown because of profits being equally redistributed about workers, about freedom of mind and from belongings to group and social categories. It was a dream. Now it's just about getting a little extra tip at the end of the day. Sorry but that is very disillusioning.
        Last edited by Francko; 10 December 2008, 18:16.
        I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

A lot of clients just don't understand it. They seem unaware of this 3rd option of an actual freelance consultant. This might be due to the agencies phoning them all the time and painting a picture of temporary employees, it might be due to your typical lifetime permie middle management type having a limited amount of experience of actual business. I've also met some contractors who don't understand it either and refer to annual leave and attend employee 'future of the company' meetings. The government don't understand it either, we're just avoiding tax.

In summary, people are stupid. I think there's more stupid people now than there used to be, it's mostly the stupid that breed so we're doomed to drowning in them im afraid.

Comment

Well I do mind. When I started contracting I thought of it as a political revolution, as the masses freed from the oppressors and the stinky capitalist who will drawn because of profits being equally .......
            WTF are you talking about?

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
              WTF are you talking about?
              Another liar at the "I just do it for the money". There are many easier, faster and durable ways of making money. Possible you didn't see any of them?

Comment

Many contractors have always operated like this. Some fields of work just don't fit the 'freelance' model.
                Cats are evil.

Comment

Nice post, shoes.

I think you forgot HR departments and preferrred supplier lists which force you down the agency perma-temp route.

I also think that Franko has been at the Chianti again - can't take their ale them EyeTies.

Comment

There are many easier, faster and durable ways of making money.

Dare you list them? Only interested in the legal ones.
                    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                    Feist - I Feel It All
                    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Working...
                    X