• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

0% interest

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

0% interest

Papers are speculating we are going to have 0% interest next year.

So what should we do with our business savings? Won't this encourage many to pull money out of banks thus putting them in trouble and thus our own hard earned money at risk?!

Originally posted by contractor79 View Post
    Papers are speculating we are going to have 0% interest next year.

So what should we do with our business savings? Won't this encourage many to pull money out of banks thus putting them in trouble and thus our own hard earned money at risk?!
    Exactly. It should motivate you to spend (and so pushing up the conomy) as you don't gain anything by saving, indeed you lose the inflation percentage. Nothing is casual.
    I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Originally posted by Francko View Post
      Exactly. It should motivate you to spend (and so pushing up the conomy) as you don't gain anything by saving, indeed you lose the inflation percentage. Nothing is casual.
      But spend on what? Invest in some market or other to make money, or just buy a flat screen TV and a flash motor?

Comment

Originally posted by Cheshire Cat View Post
        But spend on what? Invest in some market or other to make money, or just buy a flat screen TV and a flash motor?
        Hookers and drugs. Anything that pushes economy higher than that?
        I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Originally posted by Francko View Post
          Hookers and drugs. Anything that pushes economy higher than that?
          The question is... will they be passing on the VAT savings onto their punters?
          If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by Cheshire Cat View Post
            Pay off your mortgage would be a good idea - don't suppose your repayments will be going down to 0%

Comment

0% interest isn't a bad rate if inflation is negative.

Comment

Interesting thing is that, although my mortgage provider has passed on all the rates cuts, they have recommended I keep my payments the same and enjoy a period of paying off the capital a bit faster. Suits me but it's hardly the general cash injection into the economy that El Gordo probably intended. I'm just wondering how many more mortgage providers are taking this opportunity to effectively build up capital in this way?
                Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                  0% interest isn't a bad rate if inflation is negative.
                  WTWS. If you get 0% interest on your savings, but the economy is undergoing deflation, then the spending power of your money is increasing in exactly the same way that interest>inflation rate increases the spending power of your money in an inflationary economy.

Originally posted by Alf W View Post
                  Interesting thing is that, although my mortgage provider has passed on all the rates cuts, they have recommended I keep my payments the same and enjoy a period of paying off the capital a bit faster. Suits me but it's hardly the general cash injection into the economy that El Gordo probably intended. I'm just wondering how many more mortgage providers are taking this opportunity to effectively build up capital in this way?
                  Allowing mortgage providers to increase capital reserves is injecting cash into the economy - it means they are better able to provide mortgages to others, thereby sustaining the housing market. A "cash injection into the economy" doesn't just mean filling the tills at Argos.

Comment

This economic model is buggered.

At 0% I wonder if the banks will significantly up their fees for everything.

Or businesses will have to give up a share in exchange for a cash injection?
                    McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
                    Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Working...
                    X