• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The True Extent of Britain's Debt

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The True Extent of Britain's Debt

Spectator article here, with bar charts

How much is Britain’s true national debt? Gordon Brown says 37% of GDP, the ONS says 43% of GDP – but this is just government debt. The reason Britain is in so much trouble is that our corporate and household debts are huge. It is the combination that makes us such a credit liability – but no one has ever put together a combination.

Until now.

Michael Saunders from CitiGroup has calculated ‘external debt’ – ie, what Britain owes the rest of the world. It is not 40% but 400% of GDP, the highest in the G7 by some margin. The next down, France, is 176%. America, flagellating itself for blowing such a debt bubble, is just 100%.
    Holy carp! Even that Mottram quote hardly does justice to the unfolding horror
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Sssssh. If people would stop mentioning it, perhaps they'll forget.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
      Spectator article here, with bar charts

Holy carp! Even that Mottram quote hardly does justice to the unfolding horror
      You are worse than atw at economics! You worry to much!

It has all been invested safely : in houses round the world. I think 40% of purchasers in Dubai are British? Similar story elsewhere.

As these assets continue to appreciate the debts will be repaid with a huge profit.

BOOMED

Comment

I don't see why there should be a correlation between debt and GDP. It's not as if it'll need to be paid back in one year.

The obvious solution is to just pass on the debts to the next generation. I don't mind that at all, don't have any kids.
        Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
        Feist - I Feel It All
        Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

GB's debt is indeed huge, but we also need to consider the assets the UK holds abroad. These are big also, and have increased markedly in value due to the sick GBP.

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
            I don't see why there should be a correlation between debt and GDP. It's not as if it'll need to be paid back in one year. ..
            The second bar chart in that article shows what does have to be repaid in one year ..
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
              The second bar chart in that article shows what does have to be repaid in one year ..
              Like 99.9999999999999999999999999999999999999999% of the population, I prefer to remain ignorant, and have declined my opportunity to get clued up.
              Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
              Feist - I Feel It All
              Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Isn't it about time Bono launched a "Drop the Debt" campaign to save Britain?
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Nothing like a graph and selective stats to get your particular skewed point across, hockey stick anyone?
                  Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Gordon Brown did all that in 10 years?

Comment

Working...
                    X