• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Business speak...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Business speak...

Thinking of learning another language, was going to start with Spanish, then my ultimate goal of Mandarin (due to the emerging markets).

Anyone else thought about learning another language to open up more opportunities for the future? If so what?

Originally posted by NetwkSupport View Post
    Thinking of learning another language, was going to start with Spanish, then my ultimate goal of Mandarin (due to the emerging markets).

Anyone else thought about learning another language to open up more opportunities for the future? If so what?
    Start with the Mandarin. It is a quite easy language. No irregular verbs for starters, and very logical rules.

Comment

I've been mulling over learning Mandarin for a while. How do you plan to go about it - audio course, college, etc?
      Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

For work???? No chance you'll learn one of these languages if you don't live in the place for at least 1 year. Surely it's a good way to start. But I'd rather see many other opportunities for training, unless your wife is chinese and you want to move to China.
        I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

I've been mulling over learning Mandarin for a while. How do you plan to go about it - audio course, college, etc?
          Im going to learn using audio from http://www.michelthomas.co.uk/

Highly recommended

Comment

Originally posted by voodooflux View Post
            Was interested in it when at school. Got a "Teach Yourself Book". Later my parents bought me a Linguaphone course for Xmas. Later did a course in it at college with a native speaker as tutor.

Comment

Those tapes are pretty pointless, I learnt Spanish from working in Spain for a few years, my brother was learning from these tapes and they are useless, unless you sit down and study the grammar properly you'll have no chance.

The only thing is to go and live there, or you'll never pick up the slang, the nuances of the accents and the voice tones and you'll never get used to listening to 8 spanish people shouting away at the same time, all talking over each other

I imagine Mandarin is an absolute nightmare since it's tonal based.
              The mind is its own place, and in itself, can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven

Comment

Im going to learn using audio from http://www.michelthomas.co.uk/

Highly recommended
                Cheers - I'll check those out.

EDIT - blimey, my 2000th non-LR post.
                Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

Those tapes are pretty pointless, I learnt Spanish from working in Spain for a few years, my brother was learning from these tapes and they are useless, unless you sit down and study the grammar properly you'll have no chance.

The only thing is to go and live there, or you'll never pick up the slang, the nuances of the accents and the voice tones and you'll never get used to listening to 8 spanish people shouting away at the same time, all talking over each other

I imagine Mandarin is an absolute nightmare since it's tonal based.
                  good point would need to live over there but for the basics mikkel thomas is very good, quite ground breaking in his approach in terms of audio learning.

Comment

Was interested in it when at school. Got a "Teach Yourself Book". Later my parents bought me a Linguaphone course for Xmas. Later did a course in it at college with a native speaker as tutor.
                    Purple Dalek - can you speak mandarin then? how well if so?

Comment

Working...
                    X