• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Pound at historic low

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pound at historic low

Pound at 28 year low

Makes the 1992 devaluation look like a slight blip.

Well the remaining pounds in my UK current account have now left the Isle.

How far will it go ?
    I'm alright Jack

About a month ago, who said the UK economy is well placed to ride out the recession?

It looks like Europe disagrees.

Comment

"the last time the pound was this low, was in the 1970's when it faced bankruptcy"

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
        "the last time the pound was this low, was in the 1970's when it faced bankruptcy"
        I don't get this: I remember a £/$ rate of 1.45 around 2001

So the pound is not at a 28 year low, compared to the dollar.

What other currencies are they comparing with? All of the old European currencies have disappeared ...

Comment

I went to NYC in 2002 and it was about 1.5/1 ... I remember thinking stuff out there "wasn't that cheap".. had heard stories you could go out there with no clothes, buy a cheap suitcase and return with a new wardrobe for $150..
          The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

Comment

Originally posted by chris79 View Post
            ...return with a new wardrobe for $150..
            Shipping on that would be quite expensive I fear...
            Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by chris79 View Post
              I went to NYC in 2002 and it was about 1.5/1 ... I remember thinking stuff out there "wasn't that cheap".. had heard stories you could go out there with no clothes, buy a cheap suitcase and return with a new wardrobe for $150..
              Although you'd be making life easy for the check in security staff, I think these days they'd stop you getting on the plane if you turned up at the airport naked.
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
                Shipping on that would be quite expensive I fear...
                Actually only £75 with GLS. Well, not a wardrobe, but an antique set of drawers and mirrors. The insurers cost more.

HTH

Comment

I'm off to the US in Feb - not paid for the hotels yet - hoping things improve rather than get worse.
                  ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
                    I'm off to the US in Feb - not paid for the hotels yet - hoping things improve rather than get worse.
                    You could could buy a big wad of US cash now...
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X