• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How would you make Woolworths successful again?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How would you make Woolworths successful again?

Probably unrealistic (knowing how councils like to clamp down on new ideas that may be successful) - but I'd convert the stores into indoor markets, open 7 days a week. If you want a stall you pay 70 a day. collect £7k daily from 100 stores. Would that cover the rent and rates?

Of course some days would be less popular than others, so maybe not the best idea???
    Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Give it to Robert Dyas. They're infinitely better.

Comment

it might be an idea to start selling things that people want to buy ?

Comment

Nothing...

I'm amazed it wasn't WHSmiths to go first seeing as Amazon started out selling almost identical items.
        Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by MrMark View Post
          Probably unrealistic (knowing how councils like to clamp down on new ideas that may be successful) - but I'd convert the stores into indoor markets, open 7 days a week. If you want a stall you pay 70 a day. collect £7k daily from 100 stores. Would that cover the rent and rates?

Of course some days would be less popular than others, so maybe not the best idea???
          70 a day, 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year, 22k more or less. You can rent a shop in a decent location for a lot less than that.

I'd lock the doors up, get a crane to take the roof off, and then fill them with pick 'n' mix. We'll work out what to do next when we get there.

Comment

Why change anything? Apparently they had their busiest ever day of trading today. Seems like they have their business model sussed.

Comment

I wonder if we'll see 'Tesco High Street' any time soon?
              Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

A chain of Dr Mueller's for the UK?
                "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
                  I wonder if we'll see 'Tesco High Street' any time soon?
                  They already exist.

The market idea could work in some places... Durham has an indoor market and has for years. But I think we're just going to see the buildings reused for different things all over the place, snapped up by supermarkets mostly.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    They already exist.
                    I know they have 'Tesco Metro' in cities and 'Express' dotted about but they're not a presence on many town high streets just yet.

I know a Tesco area manager and she reckons they don’t make any money in the metro stores but the brand presence makes them worthwhile.

Comment

Working...
                    X