• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Smoking.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoking.

It's been 18 months since I quit, and I've never been tempted to have even one. I'm still quite amazed how quickly the urge to smoke went.

But...on reflection....I dont think I'm as happy as I was when I smoked.

I loved that time on my own - every hour, just 5 minutes to myself, no matter what. People say smoking is sociable, but I actually think it's quite a solitary thing, time alone with your own thoughts, your own peace.

I miss it.

I dont miss coughing, or being constantly out of breath, or smelling (which I never noticed, but I notice now on other people)....but I miss the "art" of smoking.

Or maybe I'm just a bit lonely.

I'm having a "ho hum" sort of day...
    The pope is a tard.

Just out of interest, I know you were a big girl already, but how much has your weight gone up since you packed in smoking?

Comment

You can always send me a PM if you are lonely.

Comment

Originally posted by Purple Dalek View Post
        Just out of interest, I know you were a big girl already, but how much has your weight gone up since you packed in smoking?
        Diplomacy in action
        Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by Purple Dalek View Post
          None - my weight has went down.

I'm 2 stone lighter today than I was this time last year, and 3 stone lighter from when I stopped smoking.

(I had lost more weight, but I've put about a stone on over the last couple of months - will tackle it again seriously in the new year).
          The pope is a tard.

Comment

I gave up on 22nd DEcember 1989

I still miss it.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
              You can always send me a PM if you are lonely.
              Yeah I'm not that lonely
              The pope is a tard.

Comment

Originally posted by SallyAnne View Post
                It's been 18 months since I quit, and I've never been tempted to have even one. I'm still quite amazed how quickly the urge to smoke went.

I loved that time on my own - every hour, just 5 minutes to myself, no matter what. People say smoking is sociable, but I actually think it's quite a solitary thing, time alone with your own thoughts, your own peace.

I miss it.

I dont miss coughing, or being constantly out of breath, or smelling (which I never noticed, but I notice now on other people)....but I miss the "art" of smoking.

It's true. For the sociable side, I am happy to join my partner when she goes outside (not at home obviously) to join the others for a smoke. For the contemplative side, I have not found it again, with the possible exception of making a cup of tea (which I'm not actually all that fond of but the whole activity is a good break).

Beware of replacement activities: neither eating nor drinking has the same contemplative aspect and they do have other effects.

Comment

Originally posted by SallyAnne View Post

I miss it.

We all get them occasionally Darlin'...

"I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                  - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
                    Beware of replacement activities: neither eating nor drinking has the same contemplative aspect and they do have other effects.
                    However I should add that neither is as bad for you as smoking, so keep it up. And they do say that if you can beat the weed, you can beat anything. Tell that to my waistline.

Comment

Working...
                    X