• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

More imminent doom

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More imminent doom

I wonder how many banks will fail when the US car industry goes bust. How many bad loans and worthless shares are tied up in that bag of tulipe?
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    I wonder how many banks will fail when the US car industry goes bust. How many bad loans and worthless shares are tied up in that bag of tulipe?
    Just print more money to keep them going! Sorted......

Comment

I wonder how many banks will fail when the US car industry goes bust.
      It won't go bust.

What should happen is that 1 of the big 3 there should go bust - there are just too many manufacturers there and none can make decent money, so at least 1 should die to give space to others.

Ford will manage, GM probably too but Chrysler is a goner - US politicians don't want to be seen as saying these things openly but in my view they clearly just waiting for one to go bankrupt, in fact the sooner Chrysler declares bankrupcy the sooner help will come to surviving ones.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        It won't go bust.

What should happen is that 1 of the big 3 there should go bust - there are just too many manufacturers there and none can make decent money, so at least 1 should die to give space to others.

Ford will manage, GM probably too but Chrysler is a goner - US politicians don't want to be seen as saying these things openly but in my view they clearly just waiting for one to go bankrupt, in fact the sooner Chrysler declares bankrupcy the sooner help will come to surviving ones.
        the lehmans of the car world then?
        "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Hmm, and much of the 'labour cost' of American car workers was actually rather like the UKs pension system. So there'll be an awful lot of upset old people too. Which'll knock on to the scam that is their medical and care system.

By the time the dust settles I recon, like Rogers was saying in the Reuters conference call yesterday, they should have let the banks go bust.

I think he's right to be getting out of the US entirely and pushing into agriculture in the far east...

Comment

It won't go bust.

Yep, but the trouble is that they share some suppliers. If one goes bust and takes down it’s suppliers the others are stuck with nowhere to buy parts, unless they can very quickly buy out the suppliers.
            And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Purple Dalek View Post
              By the time the dust settles I recon, like Rogers was saying in the Reuters conference call yesterday, they should have let the banks go bust.

I think he's right to be getting out of the US entirely and pushing into agriculture in the far east...
              ...the killing fields.

Comment

Yep, but the trouble is that they share some suppliers. If one goes bust and takes down it’s suppliers the others are stuck with nowhere to buy parts, unless they can very quickly buy out the suppliers.
                Parts will still be sold to older cars - it is probably the most profitable business actually.

Even if they save all 3 right now I can't see at least one of them not going bust within 12-18 months.

Comment

Parts will still be sold to older cars - it is probably the most profitable business actually.
                  You would think so, when you look at the price of parts. But if you look at sales depts open late 7 days, parts depts open M-F 9-5, it says otherwise.

Comment

It won't go bust.

My prediction posted on 12th December 2008, 13:28

Ford is clearly making it best out of 3, GM seems cool and the White House just confirmed Chrysler would go bankrupt

Next time have a little more faith in my predictions!

Comment

Working...
                    X