• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Jesus goes Lite

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jesus goes Lite

The Beeb

A new version of the Bible which its author says can be read in less than two hours is due to be launched.
    The 100-Minute Bible, written as a page-turner for those who do not have the time to read the full version, will be unveiled at Canterbury Cathedral.

Its author, ex-headteacher the Rev Michael Hinton said: "We have majored on Jesus, because he is the central figure in the Bible."

Bishop of Jarrow, the Rt Rev John Pritchard was a consultant on the book.

"I don't think most people know the Bible very well," he said.
    "This is an attempt to say, 'Look, there's a great story here - let's get into it and let's not get put off by the things that are going to be the sub-plot. Let's give you the big plot'."

More than 11,000 copies of the 100-Minute Bible, which is roughly the size of a notebook, have been printed, for distribution to churches and schools.

It took Mr Hinton more than two years to cut down the 66 books of the Bible into a version that could be read in 1hr 40min.

He said readers would find all the familiar Bible stories.

"We majored on the ones that have entered the common consciousness, like Noah's Ark, Jonah and so on."

The publishers of the book say that, just like the original, the 100-minute version should be a bestseller.

Len Budd, proprietor of the 100-Minute Press, said: "This is a book for adults and has been written in a style to encourage readers to keep turning the pages, but without resorting to any literary gimmicks."

The only way to encourage kids to read the bible would once have been to put more dirty bits in. Expect that doesn't work now.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth
      The only way to encourage kids to read the bible would once have been to put more dirty bits in. Expect that doesn't work now.
      Kids usually add their own dirty bits. Giant ejaculating willies and large breasts judging by the text books I was given at school.

Comment

How do you know those pictures aren't original if not allegorical ?

Comment

Oh dear - someone will end up roasting in hell!

For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:

And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.

Revelation ch 22 vv 18 - 19
          Care to comment, Chico?
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

"Jesus goes lite"

So he didn't walk on water he just floated
            Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish
              "Jesus goes lite"

So he didn't walk on water he just floated
              Hey, now come on! I'll not have all this!!! They won't shorten the bloody Koran, why are are they dumbing down the Bible?

Another thing, can somebody please stop these Muslims from spitting in the street? It's fecking revolting!
              Oh Jesus - Disaster Management Ltd.
              You know you'll need us!

Comment

Originally posted by The Late, Great JC
                Hey, now come on! I'll not have all this!!! They won't shorten the bloody Koran, why are are they dumbing down the Bible?
                Well you see, that is because the Koran is the word of God as given to Mohammed whereas the Bible is a bunch of second (or third or more) hand anecdotes as written down by a whole host of people some of which are contradictory.
                I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
                  Well you see, that is because the Koran is the word of God as given to Mohammed whereas the Bible is a bunch of second (or third or more) hand anecdotes as written down by a whole host of people some of which are contradictory.
                  Are you sure it isn't because if someone buggered about with the Koran umpteen million Muslims would riot?
                  Oh Jesus - Disaster Management Ltd.
                  You know you'll need us!

Comment

look what happened to salman rushdie
                    (\__/)
                    (>'.'<)
                    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Working...
                    X