• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What is the world coming to?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the world coming to?

I just went to pick up my wife and child from a kids party but as a I pulled in to the side of the road another car started reversing towards me, not wanting to get hit I flashed and waved my hands.

The next thing I know a guy that I can only describe as a 'yardy' jumps out and starts hurling abuse in jafaken English and whacking my window, he was saying he lived there and I had no right to park outside (it was double yellows??), all this with my wife trying to put my crying one year old in the back seat.

I live in a quiet Somerset town BTW, god knows what it's like in a rough urban area?

This country is turning into a crime ridden tuliphole, last one out turn off the light.
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post

I live in a quiet Somerset town BTW, god knows what it's like in a rough urban area?
    It not Frome is it? Frome is a ******* war zone.
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

This country is turning into a crime ridden tuliphole, last one out turn off the light.
      These occasional incidents are enough to make you go a bit daily mail. Life here will get worse in my opinion over the next couple of years as the recession worsens, it's difficult to find a desirable place to live unless you've the means/inclination to spend enough to insulate yourself from it properly.

When chilled out a bit and considering options of where else to live in the world in a pragmatic rather than 'cutting off your nose to spite your face' way, has anyone come up with a decent english speaking actual alternative?

I've no ties, good time to bail on blighty for the time being perhaps. But where to?

Comment

1997 was the right time to emigrate.

Comment

Originally posted by shoes View Post
          These occasional incidents are enough to make you go a bit daily mail. Life here will get worse in my opinion over the next couple of years as the recession worsens, it's difficult to find a desirable place to live unless you've the means/inclination to spend enough to insulate yourself from it properly.

When chilled out a bit and considering options of where else to live in the world in a pragmatic rather than 'cutting off your nose to spite your face' way, has anyone come up with a decent english speaking actual alternative?

I've no ties, good time to bail on blighty for the time being perhaps. But where to?
          Perth's nice.
          ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
            Perth's nice.
            But do they speak english in Scotland?
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

What, just because you had some problems?

Crime and interference is a bit of a lottery whether you live in somerset or somewheretulipe.

Was this not a problem to you before it knocked on your doorstep?
              Last edited by jkoder; 13 December 2008, 18:48.

Comment

Originally posted by jkoder View Post
                What, just because you had some problems?

Crime and interference is a bit of a lottery whether you live in somerset or somewheretulipe.

Was this not a problem to you before it knocked on your doorstep?
                This sort of thing doesn't usually happen in this neck of the woods, maybe in other areas people have become immune to anti social behaviour.
                Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

This sort of thing doesn't usually happen in this neck of the woods, maybe in other areas people have become immune to anti social behaviour.
                  But still when you say "What's this country coming to" you should have at least an idea of where this country currently is.

Comment

I just went to pick up my wife and child from a kids party but as a I pulled in to the side of the road another car started reversing towards me, not wanting to get hit I flashed and waved my hands.

The next thing I know a guy that I can only describe as a 'yardy' jumps out and starts hurling abuse in jafaken English and whacking my window, he was saying he lived there and I had no right to park outside (it was double yellows??), all this with my wife trying to put my crying one year old in the back seat.

So you were parking on double yellow lines?

You know where he lives : go round tonight and put superglue in his car locks. and paint stripper on his car.

Any idea which house it was?

If it was a yardy probably an illegal immigrant. They are the worst kind : I know so. The daily mail told me.

Comment

Working...
                    X