• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Scotland most violent democracy in the world

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scotland most violent democracy in the world

..According to the UN ...Oh dear ..bang goes my first visit to Edinburgh

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4257966.stm

Discuss, please do not abuse DundeeGeorge, atheists or the tax dodgers
    Sola gratia

Sola fide

Soli Deo gloria

Woohoo

Scotland's a democracy. When did that happen then?
    And that ******* DundeeGeorge, what a twat, eh!
    Why not?

Comment

Scotland

Originally posted by Dundeegeorge
      Scotland's a democracy. When did that happen then?
      And that ******* DundeeGeorge, what a twat, eh!
      I am going there next Tuesday
      Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Well you'll be alright

You are taking Terry with you, aren't you?
        (I was going to post 'Yer takin Tel wif ye, aintcher?' but thought it would look silly.)
        Why not?

Comment

very strange. I went to Glasgow a few weekends ago and I found it very low key and calm, almost quaint compared to Nottingham/Reading/East London etc.
          Chico, what time is it?

Comment

Well possibly

but then Baghdad is positively tranquil by comparison to Nottingham.
            Why not?

Comment

Edinburgh

Ive lived here for about 20 months, and been assualted 3 times. Last Christmas, 4 people who worked in my local were assualted, and Ive had to attend the Sheriffs court as a witness to an assualt on the chef of a posh bar on George Street.

It is violent, and I always insist in making sure any women who are out with us get a taxi home - use Festival Taxis as they have female drivers and have contracts with all the major chains of pubs and bars.

I know at least 3 of my female friends here have been raped.

during the day its as safe as any other town. Its a different place around New Years - the festival is fairly well behaved but New Years it can be mental - full of druggies trying to pick off tourists. Dont walk home at night is my best advice.
              Vieze Oude Man

Comment

Sounds grim.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/birmingham/cont..._feature.shtml

I used to live in Handsworth in Birmingham back in '85 when the riots started. There was lots of info about staying indoors, not to walk alone at night etc...

Thing is, I always used to walk back through Lozells Road after several beers in the evening and never saw a thing.
                If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

The study, based on telephone interviews conducted between 1991 and 2000, said 3% of people in Scotland had suffered an assault, while the figure for England and Wales was second highest at 2.8%. Both Australia and New Zealand had the next highest proportion of assaults among their population at 2.4%, exactly double the level reported for the United States.
                  I remember about 10 years ago Newport in South Wales was reported as the place most likely for you to get a good kicking on a Friday night. I don't think those Taffs should stand for some namby-pamby Jocks getting above them in the league. What we need is more binge drinking. Looks as though the difference between Scotland and England/Wales is very small though.

Interesting that the figure for the US is so much lower. Perhaps this supports AtW's view that the way ahead is US-style gun laws and armed citezenry. Would you mug someone if there was a fair to middling chance they're going to have a shooter?

Comment

Originally posted by hyperD
                    Sounds grim.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/birmingham/cont..._feature.shtml

I used to live in Handsworth in Birmingham back in '85 when the riots started. There was lots of info about staying indoors, not to walk alone at night etc...

Thing is, I always used to walk back through Lozells Road after several beers in the evening and never saw a thing.
                    Me too. Never saw a thing the whole time and I used to travel Lozells Road twice a day.

Comment

Working...
                    X