• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Luddite Resolutions

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Luddite Resolutions

Three Resolutions for the New Year.

1. Go back to cash. Losing a couple of hundred from my pocket would be less of an inconvenience than having my card cloned.

2. Go back to voice. Stop giving my custom to companies that will take my money but not will give me a phone number to call if I need to.

3. Go back to paper. Stop spending half my time making electronic notes for what I'm going to do with the other half of my time, when I get round to it.

Originally posted by expat View Post
    2. Go back to voice. Stop giving my custom to companies that will take my money but not will give me a phone number to call if I need to.
    I agree with this. If there's one thing I bloody hate it's companies who have a website with no phone numbers or a helpdesk staffed by numpties who can't help other than twitter on about 'that's not our process' or 'I'm not authorised to do that' instead of helping me or putting me on the line to someone who can help.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Go back to smoking in pubs, cafes and schools. You know where you are with a fag.

Comment

I did that a few years ago and heartily recommend it.

Using cash is such a money saver, just on it's own. Out go frivolous purchases, only the stuff on the shopping list gets bought. Quite a boon if you've kids in tow. The embarrassing 'I want' line in the shops or company has stopped. It's like an enormous weight lifted from ones shoulders.

Keeping your own notes on paper in the desk drawer are also good to stop higher-ups stealing ones ideas and presenting them as their own. Which has been really good for business.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
          I agree with this. If there's one thing I bloody hate it's companies who have a website with no phone numbers or a helpdesk staffed by numpties who can't help other than twitter on about 'that's not our process' or 'I'm not authorised to do that' instead of helping me or putting me on the line to someone who can help.
          E.g. Ticketmaster: phone number, gets automated responses only. Email to contact them but "you will not be allowed to send us an email until you have browsed an appropriate question from our FAQ".

Easyjet: no contact details on web site. Anywhere. You can enter a message into a form but you don't know where it goes. You may some time later get a useless reply for an email address that you are warned not to reply to.

Bt Yahoo Broadband ... must go get medication .....

Comment

Originally posted by Purple Dalek View Post
            Keeping your own notes on paper in the desk drawer are also good to stop higher-ups stealing ones ideas and presenting them as their own. Which has been really good for business.
            Heh

And it's just easier. I just can't pretend that I can enter or understand data relationships on my Palm anything like as well as on paper. Greater bandwidth on paper I suppose; or as we paper users say, it just works.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
              Heh

And it's just easier. I just can't pretend that I can enter or understand data relationships on my Palm anything like as well as on paper. Greater bandwidth on paper I suppose; or as we paper users say, it just works.
              Plus, you can wipe your arse with the paper afterwards. Better than using your Palm.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
                Plus, you can wipe your arse with the paper afterwards. Better than using your Palm.
                You should always use your left Palm to wipe your arse as you eat with your right Palm.
                And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Working...
                X