• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Benched for Xmas

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Benched for Xmas

Three week temporary benching for me and my fellow contractors over Xmas. I was going to have two weeks off anyway.

Some of the more spiteful permies thought it quite amusing until they started getting Xmas holiday requests knocked back because they have to provide cover for us.

Anyone else been scrooged?
    Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Originally posted by Alf W View Post

Some of the more spiteful permies thought it quite amusing until they started getting Xmas holiday requests knocked back because they have to provide cover for us.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Three week temporary benching for me and my fellow contractors over Xmas. I was going to have two weeks off anyway.

sounds great! why worry?
      Originally posted by BolshieBastard
      You're fulfilling a business role not partaking in a rock and roll concert.

Comment

Yup - one week enforcement but taking two anyway. WFH on contract B so earning but in a nicer environment

Comment

He he he he, justice

Comment

Enforced furlough points to lack of MOO, a good defence for IR35.
            Cats are evil.

Comment

Me too... I had agreed to do the onsite graveyard slot between Xmas - N Year but now that is canned and the permies have to cover it. I'll be back in Jan for 3 weeks and then I'm finished with no renewal. One interview lined up already this week though.

Comment

Bear in mind that most of us on the 3 weeks out are on Hays contracts - which are borderline at best with regards to IR35 - as someone said its a very good MOO pointer. So although its a fair cost, it could actually save us money in the long term, should HMRC try to investigate us!
                I've got 5 weeks back from January until my contract ends - unless of course I get something first. Almost all contractors I have contact with there have been told their contracts will not be renewed. Its going to be interesting to see how many actually go back on the 5th. I think it will be less than they expect.

Comment

Big US IB I was working for over the last 3 years told the contractors to GTF for Christmas week, I was the exception to the rule.

3 of us on the application, 2 permies and myself. Permies wanted holiday so I had to cover them.

Most of the contractors in the place would probably turn up a 10, take a 2 hour pub lunch then go at 4 during the Christmas period.

Comment

Working...
                  X