• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Just added 2TB NAS

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just added 2TB NAS

2 x 1TB Buffalo NAS arrived today

Oodles of space!

Originally posted by Platypus View Post

Oodles of space!
    I was just looking at 2 TB hard disks to upgrade storage systems in early 2009 - 100 TB+ here I come...

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      I was just looking at 2 TB hard disks to upgrade storage systems in early 2009 - 100 TB+ here I come...

Geek!

Comment

Geek!
        I am a pro mate, that's my business uses so much data - each day 5 TB more crawled and analysed: it's the power of SKA

Comment

I am a pro mate, that's my business uses so much data - each day 5 TB more crawled and analysed: it's the power of SKA

If it all goes Pete Tongue, you can always get a job at the local recycling centre. I think they have the same issues you have, sorting the quality from the junk.

I recommend some sort of filter to reduce your storage requirements. There are actually only about a dozen sites on the internet worth bothering about. The task you have is finding them amongst the billions of pages of useless blogs and adverts.
          Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
          Feist - I Feel It All
          Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
            I recommend some sort of filter to reduce your storage requirements.
            5 TB of daily raw data gets compressed to around 40 GB, but what I do know about filtering and compression...

Comment

Oodles of space!

You should have bought 4 of them. No good having all your stuff in one place if it's not backed up!

Was looking at external drives and notice you can now get a 1TB usb drive for about 2 quid more than a bare drive! Around £70-75 inc vat.

Currently got 2.5TB in my home server, about half used. Could do with backing it up incase some scrote nicks it whilst I'm out.

I think I'll wait till USB 3 though, it'll take days to backup that amount of stuff.
              Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
              Feist - I Feel It All
              Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
                I think I'll wait till USB 3 though, it'll take days to backup that amount of stuff.
                I also backup to DLT tape using Vertias through a SCSI controller. It's very fast! But the tape drive was mighty expensive. The one time I needed to do a full restore from tape, it saved my butt, so was worth the investment.

Comment

5 TB of daily raw data gets compressed to around 40 GB, but what I do know about filtering and compression...
                  My 5 TB is recorded white noise. It just won't compress.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                    My 5 TB is recorded white noise. It just won't compress.
                    It will if you think outside of a box...

Comment

Working...
                    X