• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Did you do this?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did you do this?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...rs-German.html

One of the worst blunders ever seen on Whitehall saw a 'cost-cutting' computer system end up spouting answers in German and leaving taxpayers with a bill of more than £80million.

A damning report from MPs today accuses the Department for Transport of 'stupendous incompetence' in its management of a multi-million pound efficiency drive.

It said a programme to save £57million in administration costs had instead left taxpayers facing an £81million bill.

Workers were left struggling with an IT system that issued messages in German, wrongly recorded that staff were off sick and randomly confiscated staff holidays.

The programme, based in a Swansea office which manages human resources, payroll, and finance support for the department, was supposed to cost £55million and produce £112million of savings - an overall economy of £57million.

However, the department now admits that the programme will cost £121million and produce savings of just £40million, resulting in an overall cost to the taxpayer of £81million.

Tax money well spent, as usual.

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    However, the department now admits that the programme will cost £121million and produce savings of just £40million, resulting in an overall cost to the taxpayer of £81million.

investment by

HTH

Brown Gordon

Comment

When McKinsey did a report on it they said it would be fine!

This outcome is the result of giving contracts only to big firms : they should just get in loads of IT contractors instead.

Comment

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...rs-German.html

One of the worst blunders ever seen on Whitehall saw a 'cost-cutting' computer system end up spouting answers in German and leaving taxpayers with a bill of more than £80million.

A damning report from MPs today accuses the Department for Transport of 'stupendous incompetence' in its management of a multi-million pound efficiency drive.

It said a programme to save £57million in administration costs had instead left taxpayers facing an £81million bill.

Workers were left struggling with an IT system that issued messages in German, wrongly recorded that staff were off sick and randomly confiscated staff holidays.

The programme, based in a Swansea office which manages human resources, payroll, and finance support for the department, was supposed to cost £55million and produce £112million of savings - an overall economy of £57million.

Tax money well spent, as usual.
        Well they wanted it cheap - I did the gig forra fiver - you pays yer Reichmarks and takes your choices .

Comment

What sort of software dev costs £121,000,000

I mean, it's not sending men to Mars is it? It's running some payroll and holidays.

Comment

Sounds like it was ze Germans.
            Cats are evil.

Comment

I mean, it's not sending men to Mars is it? It's running some payroll and holidays.
              In the IT world its called an IPT (indexed pig trough)

Great article DP - you just couldnt make it up.

Imagine some computerised booming German voice announcing that your Holidays have been confiscated - well worth 121 million.

Good recovery by the spokesman though -

spokesman for the Department for Transport said: 'As with any large-scale and long-term project, there have been aspects that have taken longer to implement than others.

'However, the system is now starting to deliver real change with smoother and more streamlined processes. We welcome this report and will be responding to it in due course.'

Does the above mean that staff will have their holidays confiscated by a booming voice in French ?
              Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 16 December 2008, 09:14.

Comment

Umm, I may have had a small hand in it
                ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

It's not the software build, it's the consultants to configure it. Probably SAP.
                  ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                    It's not the software build, it's the consultants to configure it. Probably SAP.
                    It was indeed
                    ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Working...
                    X