• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Italy Bails Out Big Cheese -Euro set to fall

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Italy Bails Out Big Cheese -Euro set to fall

Parmigiano Reggiano, Italy's King of Cheese, is in trouble. Robust in flavour and crumbly, it is a classic of Italy's artisan food traditions, made by hand by 430 craft producers around the city of Parma. But with Italian consumption falling as costs soar, almost a third of producers now face bankruptcy. Now Italy's Minister of Agriculture, Luca Zaia, has come to the rescue, promising to buy 100,000 Parmigiano Reggiano cheeses, and also 100,000 of its less costly competitor, Grana Padano.

This is Italy's big cheese bailout. Essentially, the government will be gobbling up 3 per cent of Parmesan production at an estimated cost of €50m (£44.7m) and distributing it to the needy. Each 35kg wheel of Parmigiano costs between €8 and €8.50 to make, but the wholesale price has declined for the past four years even as the cost of milk and energy has soared.

"We just need a bit of time to reorganise ourselves," said Giorgio Apostoli of Coldiretti, Italy's agriculture lobby. "This is a historic product with an ancient tradition. There ought to be policies to safeguard those who produce it."

But Professor Giuliano Noci, of the Milan Polytechnic, said a better solution would be for the government to "launch a sustained marketing campaign in the emerging markets such as Brazil, Russia and India, to educate consumers to appreciate the quality" of the cheese.

The ECB predicted a fall of 10 per cent for the Euro - a despairing Herr Gledelocks comments were "'For us - it is zertainly Hard Cheeze'"
    Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 16 December 2008, 11:01.

forget cheese futures, think big, think outside the box. With Irish pork bellies in trouble, my money is on Cumberland sausage

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Is it considered government subsidy if the govt buy it and eat/destroy it?

Either way, I love the stuff - Belissimo!!!
      Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Each 35kg wheel of Parmigiano costs between €8 and €8.50 to make, but the wholesale price has declined for the past four years even as the cost of milk and energy has soared.
        I'll buy a wheel or two at those prices. It wouldn't make a bad Plan B, although there would be always the temptation to eat into the profits.
        Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Didn't Jesus say "blessed are the cheesemakers"?

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
            I'll buy a wheel or two at those prices. It wouldn't make a bad Plan B, although there would be always the temptation to eat into the profits.
            Me too....
            Bazza gets caught
            Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
              Didn't Jesus say "blessed are the cheesemakers"?
              Obviously it's not meant to be taken literally. It refers to any manufacturer of dairy products.

Comment

Originally posted by dang65 View Post
                Obviously it's not meant to be taken literally. It refers to any manufacturer of dairy products.
                I dunno, I don't think he would say blessed are the cottage cheese makers, because that stuff is minging!
                Bazza gets caught
                Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Originally posted by dang65 View Post
                  Shut up big nose.

Comment

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
                    Parmigiano Reggiano, Italy's King of Cheese, is in trouble. Robust in flavour and crumbly, it is a classic of Italy's artisan food traditions, made by hand by 430 craft producers around the city of Parma. But with Italian consumption falling as costs soar, almost a third of producers now face bankruptcy. Now Italy's Minister of Agriculture, Luca Zaia, has come to the rescue, promising to buy 100,000 Parmigiano Reggiano cheeses, and also 100,000 of its less costly competitor, Grana Padano.

This is Italy's big cheese bailout. Essentially, the government will be gobbling up 3 per cent of Parmesan production at an estimated cost of €50m (£44.7m) and distributing it to the needy. Each 35kg wheel of Parmigiano costs between €8 and €8.50 to make, but the wholesale price has declined for the past four years even as the cost of milk and energy has soared.

"We just need a bit of time to reorganise ourselves," said Giorgio Apostoli of Coldiretti, Italy's agriculture lobby. "This is a historic product with an ancient tradition. There ought to be policies to safeguard those who produce it."

But Professor Giuliano Noci, of the Milan Polytechnic, said a better solution would be for the government to "launch a sustained marketing campaign in the emerging markets such as Brazil, Russia and India, to educate consumers to appreciate the quality" of the cheese.
                    I do hope that this means that people will start appreciating a much more flavoured cheese like Pecorino. I am all for it. Let's boycott parmigiano and give me Pecorino Romano all the time. And fantastic for a carbonara and with fava beans.
                    I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Working...
                    X