• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Time to depart...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time to depart...

Is it time to leave the UK?

We're writing a CUK front-page piece for Thursday prompted by the previous thread, "What's the world coming to?"

Given all the economic doldrums at the moment is it time to get out and try another country?

Have you thought about it? Why? Why not? where to go? etc etc.

I'll quite possibly pick out a few choice quotes for the article - attributed to your forum name for client protection. Feel free to use a private-message if you prefer.

No its great here thank you. Edinburgh is lovely in December

No scary yardy types here

Comment

I'd rather stay in the UK and send the Labour government abroad.

Anyway, where to go? Europe will be in the doldrums as well, and the more attractive destinations further afield have more stringent entry criteria.

One upside though. The more people that go, the more job vacancies back in the UK for the rest of us.

Comment

Originally posted by WKnight View Post

We're writing a CUK front-page piece for Thursday prompted by the previous thread, "What's the world coming to?"

Given all the economic doldrums at the moment is it time to get out and try another country?

I'll quite possibly pick out a few choice quotes for the article - attributed to your forum name for client protection. Feel free to use a private-message if you prefer.
        How much do we get paid?

Comment

Contractors vs writers

You're contractors right? You already get paid too much compared to writers.

Comment

You're contractors right? You already get paid too much compared to writers.
            Have you been listening to atw? We didn't get this money by giving away freebies!

And I want an IR35 friendly contract......

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
              And I want an IR35 friendly contract......
              Working for multiple clients will help you more than the wording on the contract. Even voluntary work, I'm told.

Comment

Working for multiple clients will help you more than the wording on the contract. Even voluntary work, I'm told.
                Mrs BP wants to go abroad : has been desperate to avoid the chavs for years. But the kids are shared residence so I would have to hide for a year (after that Hague Convention does not apply). So I am stuck here.

We would go to HK or Sydney : financial services industry. Asia is the future.

Comment

I'm off to Australia provided my visa application's successful. Can't wait to get out of here, it'll probably mean a pay cut but I don't care. Any luck this will be my last UK Xmas
                  ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

We considered Australia, but there are too many things that can kill you over there, it's a long way from the grandparents, and it's closer to tay.

We're looking more at Canada at the moment, as they are more welcoming to foreigners - e.g. you can get permanent residency just by moving there, and citizenship easily after that if you REALLY want to. Just need to get round to filling in the application forms, and then we'll see what happens (it takes a few years, I'm told). Also, Canada will let you emigrate without a job offer, which a lot of places won't.

Not for economic reasons, I just want somewhere with more land - my aunt and uncle live on a farm out there with 100 acres, but don't actually farm anything. Just land, and lots of it...
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                    X