• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How bad does an outsource co have to be before UK co. gives up on them

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How bad does an outsource co have to be before UK co. gives up on them

I'm working on a project that has been outsourced to them injuns

So far they have proved incapable of doing anything except ignore emails. The customer is pi***d off, but seem unwilling to bring it back onshore.

At what point do UK corporations give up, or do they just keep throwing their money Eastwards?

Has anyone else experienced this?
    Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Originally posted by MrsGoof View Post

So far they have proved incapable of doing anything except ignore emails. The customer is pi***d off, but seem unwilling to bring it back onshore.

At what point do UK corporations give up, or do they just keep throwing their money Eastwards?

Yes, current client co has offshored a load of stuff. I think so long as directors' bonuses depend on how much money they can save as opposed to delivering quality the trend will continue...
    ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

As long as the bean counters tell them it's cheaper they will continue.

My client has been outsourced to a German company, I think they have efficiency confused with tyranny… I’ve never worked so hard for so little.
      Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Outsourcing was the first sign of trouble for me under NL. It showed a lack of investment and commitment to the UK workforce by UK PLC and, eagerly supported by the new NL government, a complete lack of understanding of the value of IT in business and to the economy.

Comment

....when the customers (ie the people who write the cheques and pay for projects) get hacked off with the delays and figure out that they get what they pay for?
          Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Client I worked for never had a project/module delivered on time...Still thought it was cheeper.
            Just call me Matron - Too many handbags

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
              Yes, current client co has offshored a load of stuff. I think so long as directors' bonuses depend on how much money they can save as opposed to delivering quality the trend will continue...
              WHS. From a certain level of senior management upwards all they see is a massive cost saving in project running costs without taking the slightest bit of interest in the build quality of the software. I think our offshore friends are in danger of nodding their own heads off in anticipation of much cheapness work next year.

Comment

Seen a project get dragged back onshore after going 50 times over budget, really the client should have known that it could not been done for the quoted price. The handover process was not nice, lots of shouting from that end of the room down the phone to India.

Apparently the source was a complete disgrace and looked like it had been written by students ( it probably was )

Comment

Takes a while! NHS Project, and all major banks have the same issue. When you have the abacus players telling the business that they are cheaper they fail to mention that the cost to supervise and handhold makes it MORE expensive.

Comment

It took 258 years and a subcontinent-wide mutiny before the East India Company was nationalised. I'm sure that's the closest analogy.

Comment

Working...
                    X