• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Public spending cuts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Public spending cuts

What I want to know is if the private sector suffers and we all lose our jobs, pay cuts, etc..

Does the public sector follow suit to balance the books due to less tax being paid?
    The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

Originally posted by chris79 View Post
    What I want to know is if the private sector suffers and we all lose our jobs, pay cuts, etc..

Does the public sector follow suit to balance the books due to less tax being paid?
    No, next.

Comment

Cheers, I can sleep better tonight knowing the answer now.

Comment

No. The public sector is not a luxury that you cut back on if you have less money. It is a necessity, that becomes even more necessary in harder times.

Comment

I see these jobs for £700 a day 12 month rolling to 'research the effects of working hours on NHS staff' - criteria: Only available to those who have PCT experience (aye aye, wink wink).

Is that those consultants who retired early on full final salary, did a degree at the expense of the tax payer, then get these ridiculous jobs through a certain special handshake?

Why nobody has been jailed yet for squandering public funds is beyond me.

Comment

Yes. Projects being cut left, right and centre at one of my clients. That said, they have been wasting money for years and delivering nothing, so they may as well spend less and deliver nothing!

Comment

No, NL will solve the problem by bringing all jobs into the public sector. Comrade.
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Like any monopoly they do 2 things usually:

1) increase prices (taxes in this case)
                2) borrow more (to be repaid with increased taxes in the future or devalued by inflation, in any case it will be issue for future administrations)

Comment

Why nobody has been jailed yet for squandering public funds is beyond me.
                  Because the people who should investigate are also public servants

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
                    Because the people who should investigate are also public servants
                    The Haringey Option: investigate and exonerate yourself.

Comment

Working...
                    X