• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Fed

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Fed

(CNN) -- The U.S. Federal Reserve cut a key rate Tuesday to a range of between zero and 0.25 percent. Tokyo's Nikkei share index closed just over one percent down Tuesday.

Tokyo's Nikkei share index closed just over one percent down Tuesday.

The central bank typically sets a specific target for its federal funds rate instead of a range.

With a target range of zero to 0.25 percent it is the lowest level on record, going back to 1954. Before the announcement Tuesday afternoon in New York, the rate was 1 percent.

The federal funds rate is an overnight lending rate used as a benchmark to set rates for a variety of consumer loans, including adjustable rate mortgages, credit cards, home equity lines of credit and business loans.

This rate is the Fed's key tool for spurring or slowing slow the U.S. economy as it tries to balance its dual goals of economic growth and price stability. Lower rates are designed to encourage spending by making borrowing more affordable.

In the hours before the decision there were some losses in Asia, major European markets closed up and the U.S. indexes were trading higher.

The Dow Jones was up 1.25 percent, the Nasdaq composite 2.3 percent and the Standard & Poor's 500 index 1.6 percent in the minutes before the Fed's announcement.

In the minutes after the Dow was up 2.9 percent, the Nasdaq 3.7 percent and the S&P 3.3 percent.

Investment bank Goldman Sachs on Tuesday announced its first quarterly loss -- $2.1 billion -- since going public in 1999.

The U.S. dollar fell against major currencies as investors waited for the Fed's rate decision.

At the close in Europe, London's FTSE 100 was up 0.7 percent, while the CAC 40 in Paris rose 2 percent and the DAX 30 in Frankfurt was 1.3 percent higher.

In contrast Asian markets were mixed, with Toyko's Nikkei and the All Ordinaries index in Australia both closing just over a percent lower. In Seoul, however, the KOSPI gained a third of a percent, while Hong Kong's Hang Seng picked up 0.6 percent.

The jitters in Asia came after Wall Street lost ground Monday, giving back Friday's modest gains. The Dow Jones lost about 65 points, or 0.75 percent, while Standard & Poor's 500 index fell 1.3 percent and the Nasdaq composite slid 2.1 percent.

A trio of issues were keeping markets nervous -- waiting on the Fed's announcement, the Madoff financial scandal and continuing uncertainty about the future if teh U.S. auro industry.

The central bank was widely expected to cut the fed funds rate, a key bank lending rate, by at least a half-percentage point to 0.5 percent -- although some analysts suggested a bigger cut to 0.25 percent.

Of greater significance is what the accompanying statement says about the economy, labor market and credit crisis. A negative outlook could push markets lower.

As is often the case, the statement accompanying the rate cut decision will be of greater interest than the decision. "The Fed is going to throw everything they have to not only reverse market psychology, but reverse the downward decline in economic activity," said Peter Cardillo, analyst for Avalon Partners.

He added that the Fed might also use unconventional methods to try and stabilize the economy, like buying Treasury and corporate bonds.

Secondly, investors are trying to figure out what to make of the Bernard Madoff scandal, explained Fred Dickson, chief market strategist at D.A. Davidson & Co. Video Watch why fallout from Madoff has been so bad »

Money manager Madoff, a Wall Street figure and former Nasdaq chairman, was arrested last week on charges that he instigated a $50 billion pyramid scheme that hit companies worldwide.

And investors are still focusing on the troubled U.S. automakers after the Bush administration said last week that it might offer General Motors and Chrysler bridge loans from the $700 billion bailout fund Congress set aside for Wall Street. However, President Bush has so far declined to give a timeline for any action.

Dickson said: "Investors are expecting a rescue package to be announced, and most of that is baked into the market already."

President Bush said Tuesday he was "considering all options."

The president told CNN: "A disorganized bankruptcy could create enormous economic difficulties, further economic difficulties ... We're in a crisis now. We're in a huge recession, but I don't want to make it even worse. But on the other hand, I'm mindful of not putting good money after bad, so we're working through some options."

---------

AtW's comment: Chairman Bernanke is an idiot.

So if the pound is rising against the diollar I might get that holiday in Disneyworld next year then?

Comment

Hope the BoE follow suit and lower interest rates here again. Then I can post another few jumping bananas along with the 'B' word for my super cheap tracker mortgage
      Cats are evil.

Comment

Suits me.

Time to refinance my NY flat and pull some cash from the US with the still looking very nice exchange rates

Boomed.

BTW WTF are you to call anyone an idiot when it comes to economics?
        Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by snaw View Post
          BTW WTF are you to call anyone an idiot when it comes to economics?

finance

Bernanke is a banker. This means he is in finance, not economics. If you don't know the different your are ..., well you know

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post

finance

Bernanke is a banker. This means he is in finance, not economics. If you don't know the different your are ..., well you know
            So Bernanke is not an economist.

Comment

XE.Com are quoting $1.55 mid market and Travelex are quoing $1.47 to buy - any ideas where I can get a better cash rate?

I'm off to the US in 7 weeks and if I can get $1.50 I'll get my currency now.
              ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post

finance

Yeah, apart from getting a PhD in economics and spending much of his life studying the Great Depression, giving several lectures at the London School of Economics, writing three textbooks on macroeconomics, and one on microeconomics, being Director of the Monetary Economics Program of the National Bureau of Economic Research, and the editor of the American Economic Review, and among the 50 most published economists....apart from all that what does he know about economics?
                Last edited by GreenerGrass; 17 December 2008, 08:39.

Comment

Originally posted by GreenerGrass View Post
                  Yeah, apart from getting a PhD in economics and spending much of his life studying the Great Depression, giving several lectures at the London School of Economics, writing three textbooks on macroeconomics, and one on microeconomics, being Director of the Monetary Economics Program of the National Bureau of Economic Research, and the editor of the American Economic Review, and among the 50 most published economists....apart from all that what does he know about economics?
                  Please dont confuse atw's perfectly good arguments with facts.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
                    XE.Com are quoting $1.55 mid market and Travelex are quoing $1.47 to buy - any ideas where I can get a better cash rate?

I'm off to the US in 7 weeks and if I can get $1.50 I'll get my currency now.
                    Live near a US base? Try asking one of the guys (they get paid in dollars) and you might be able to arrange a rate which is advantageous to both of you.

Comment

Working...
                    X