• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BTL in Manchester not exactly risk free

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BTL in Manchester not exactly risk free

Cheap flat being auctioned by Alsops tomorrow, seems too cheap then you
    see it was seized by serious organised crime agency, a little background digging reveals most flats in this block were acquired through Craven Properties

http://www.auction.co.uk/residential...000401&S=C&O=A

Then I find this...

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co....roperty_seized

THE alleged former leader of the Provisional IRA has agreed to hand over nine houses in Greater Manchester to Irish and British revenue officers.

The houses are part of nearly £1m of criminal assets being passed over by leading Irish Republican Thomas 'Slab' Murphy and his brothers Frank and Patrick.

The properties, worth £445,000, are mainly in Trafford and Stretford. It is understood they were sourced through a Sale-based firm, The Craven Group, owned by millionaire tycoon Dermot Craven.

There is no suggestion that Mr Craven, from Bowden, dealt personally with the properties or knew 'Slab' Murphy's political background.

Mr Craven - who has previously admitted knowing Frank Murphy - said when details of the case first emerged in 2005: "If it is the case that clients have purchased property through us, through the use of money that is derived from criminal activity, then we know nothing of this."

`Slab' Murphy, his brothers and the Ace Oils fuel company were targeted by police investigating a massive smuggling racket operating on both sides of the Irish border.

More than £487,000 in cash and cheques were confiscated in Ireland, while the nine properties were recovered by British authorities.

A spokesman for the Irish police said the settlement was the culmination of a global crime and fraud investigation into the proceeds of crime.

He said: "These proceedings are the culmination of intensive investigations by the Criminal Assets Bureau (of Ireland) and the UK's Serious and Organised Crime Agency. Both agencies have cooperated extensively, working in partnership to achieve today's outcome."

The Irish leg of the investigation was settled in Dublin's High Court yesterday, while the UK's seizure was finalised in a Manchester court on Thursday.

The three men have been under investigation since March 2006 when `Slab' Murphy's sprawling farm in Hackballscross, straddling the Irish border between Louth and Armagh, was raided. It was one of 15 residential and business properties searched. More than £140,000 in mixed currencies, 30,000 cigarettes and 8,000 litres of fuel were seized while 30 archive boxes of documents, three tankers and a truck with a fourth tanker concealed inside were impounded.

An oil laundering unit was also seized.

In a separate investigation, 'Slab' Murphy, 58, faces nine charges of tax evasion for failing to furnish a return of his income, profits or gains over eight years from 1996.

He is expected to try to block the trial in the High Court next month.

Don't imagine it would be easy to convice the tenants to pay me rather than him
    The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    Don't imagine it would be easy to convice the tenants to pay me rather than him
    You need to get your old avatar back with a nice Xmas hat.

Comment

In a separate investigation, 'Slab' Murphy, 58, faces nine charges of tax evasion for failing to furnish a return of his income, profits or gains over eight years from 1996.
      IR35 then? Should've opted in

Comment

I did own some BTLs in Burnley in late 90s. Nominally the returns were spectacular : in practice very low. Same story in Manchester : you need to be sure you can get tenants.

I wish I had waited to 2006 to sell : I would have doubled money. But I didn't know sasguru then......

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          I did own some BTLs in Burnley in late 90s.

You're lucky you made any money.

Last time I drove through that tuliphole, they were knocking large areas of it down. Plenty of mugs down south had bought BTLs there, without even viewing the area, expecting to make some easy money, only for them to be compulsory purchased because they were in the areas infested with lazy druggie whitetrash scum. That was the posh end of town.
          Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
          Feist - I Feel It All
          Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
            Last time I drove through that tuliphole, they were knocking large areas of it
            Their football team is pretty good in my view - maybe they should replace completely official English players and their job would be just to train for the games all the time rather than play for the club. That would be my solution to winning the world cup again.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
              Their football team is pretty good in my view - maybe they should replace completely official English players and their job would be just to train for the games all the time rather than play for the club. That would be my solution to winning the world cup again.
              They beat Chelski and the Arse didn't they!
              The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

They most certainly did.

In this instance, you'd imagine the tenants were told not to let their children dig up the gardens ..

Comment

They did a very good job IMO. I also think their team primarily consists of English players, so it seems to be they should be taken on full time English and that will be their main assignment - if they win it then they get everything, and if they lose then they will have to walk home.

Comment

Only the kiddie teams.

Carling cup wasn't it? No one really cares about winning that piece of tulipe do they?
                    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                    Feist - I Feel It All
                    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Working...
                    X