• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Christmas Divisive Prison Sentence Thread

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Christmas Divisive Prison Sentence Thread

Well, we've not had one of these for a while, so as I'm on the 'Hot-and-cold-running-telly-in-every-cell-and-send-the-poor-misunderstood-loves-on-an-adventure-holiday' wing, it's my turn to start one.

The 16 year old who killed the 11 year old lad in Liverpool receives a minimum tariff of 22 years

The doctor who plotted bomb attacks in Glasgow and London receives a minimum tariff of 32 years.

Now, they're bothe substantial stretches. But I would expect the differential between them to be greater.

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    Well, we've not had one of these for a while, so as I'm on the 'Hot-and-cold-running-telly-in-every-cell-and-send-the-poor-misunderstood-loves-on-an-adventure-holiday' wing, it's my turn to start one.

The 16 year old who killed the 11 year old lad in Liverpool receives a minimum tariff of 22 years

The doctor who plotted bomb attacks in Glasgow and London receives a minimum tariff of 32 years.

Now, they're bothe substantial stretches. But I would expect the differential between them to be greater.
    One to be 500 and one a 1000?

Comment

Why?

BTW I am against the death penalty but I wavered a bit over that youth in Liverpool - I mean seriously, what's he ever going to contribute?

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
        Why?
        I think there's a big difference between an armed teenage thug who murders someone, and a terrorist planning to cause multiple deaths through multiple explosions. It's a matter of judgement, I suppose - they feel very different.

Comment

I think there's a big difference between an armed teenage thug who murders someone, and a terrorist planning to cause multiple deaths through multiple explosions. It's a matter of judgement, I suppose - they feel very different.
          More than 10 years different? 10 years is a blinkin long time especially inside.

Comment

I suppose the terrorist was lucky (as were we) that him and his mate were so utterly hopeless at it - if he'd managed it, he'd be dead or getting a longer sentence.

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
              More than 10 years different? 10 years is a blinkin long time especially inside.
              I'd say it's worth more than an extra 45%.

Comment

Is it me or was this guy made by Aardman animations?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph...0_1207058c.jpg

http://www.fordingsbarn.co.uk/photos3/gromit.png
                The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
                  It does look as if his nose and ears have been stuck on Mr Potato Head style.

Comment

I dunno how it works, but it seems to me that:

The doctor didn't manage to do much except fail totally, failed to kill anyone, failed to kill himself (even his mate managed to die) - all he's really done is cost money and prevented us all from driving up to airport buildings. In the past he appears to have done some good in his life, treating sick people. He will be so old when he gets out that most of his normal family life years will have passed without him - fair enough he's a would-be murderer.

The scrote appears to have done nothing but nasty selfish stuff all his life (he was under an ASBO). He has never owned up, nor shown any remorse. Scrote is younger and although nearly 40 before eligible for consideration of parole, could get some kind of life going outside.

They both deserved long terms but for once I think the judges got these about right.

Comment

Working...
                    X