• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mba

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mba

anyone got one? is it worth having?
    I didn't say it was your ******* fault, I said I was blaming you!

I think atw has one. That should tell you all you need to know.

Comment

George W Bush has got one.
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by scooby View Post
        anyone got one? is it worth having?
        Yes...I got mine through Heriot Watt Uni by distance learning. VERY hard work if you have to earn a crust at the same time, but well worth doing. It is one of the better MBAs if it is knowledge you are after (and that is why I did it - I have no problem talking "business" to customers with their heads in the clouds now, which is a very useful skill for a PM).

So to answer your question, it depends what you want an MBA for - but from personal experience I would say yes.
        Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by PM-Junkie View Post
          Yes...I got mine through Heriot Watt Uni by distance learning. VERY hard work if you have to earn a crust at the same time, but well worth doing. It is one of the better MBAs if it is knowledge you are after (and that is why I did it - I have no problem talking "business" to customers with their heads in the clouds now, which is a very useful skill for a PM).

So to answer your question, it depends what you want an MBA for - but from personal experience I would say yes.
          I'm PM too. has it helped you're career (altho being a contractor, we dont have careers!) or rate?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            I think atw has one.
            Nope - my application was rejected by both Harvard and Stanford back in 1999...

Comment

I'm PM too. has it helped you're career (altho being a contractor, we dont have careers!) or rate?
              Difficult to say really...but it has certainly made me a much better PM. And in the current environment when business skills are at a premium for IT folks, it takes potential customers about a nano-second to tick that box when they scan through my marketing doc (aka my CV).

So I suspect it has. And since I am able to provide non-pm services as well (for example at my last gig I helped the IT director with his 2009/10 strategy), it helps with being retained and with getting gigs with previous customers. It's all about adding more string to your bow...
              Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by PM-Junkie View Post
                Difficult to say really...but it has certainly made me a much better PM. And in the current environment when business skills are at a premium for IT folks, it takes potential customers about a nano-second to tick that box when they scan through my marketing doc (aka my CV).

So I suspect it has. And since I am able to provide non-pm services as well (for example at my last gig I helped the IT director with his 2009/10 strategy), it helps with being retained and with getting gigs with previous customers. It's all about adding more string to your bow...
                i assume you claimed this course as a buiness expense for training?

Comment

i assume you claimed this course as a buiness expense for training?
                  Too flippin' right I did!!

Comment

I would like to do one but the cost and time has put me off.

However, Working with a chap who is going to be the administrator of a compliance system to control documents, Corrective action planning, Change Control, Incident and Near Miss reporting for Health and Safety amongst other things. This guy has been a Cobol developer for a s/w house for 14ys working on SOP s/w and took 2 yrs out to do a Business MBA in the mid 90's.

He was made redundant before Xmas and this was the first job he went for.

However he has never heard of:
                    • Document Management Systems or the process for authorising documents in a formal environment.
                    • Change control procedures
                    • Prince or any other project management methodologies
                    • Itil
                    • Six Sigma or Lean
                    • Corrective Action and Preventative Action Planning
                    • Did not know why I was identifying documents as Polices, Procedures, forms etc (surely they are all the same he questioned?)
                    • Did not know what ISO9001 was for

Ok, you may not need to know all this stuff but I thought it would be covered a Business MBA?

All I can say if he passed – then I should be able to do so to.
                    Just call me Matron - Too many handbags

Comment

Working...
                    X