• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Boomed! - Retail sales rise

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boomed! - Retail sales rise

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7789311.stm

The Great British shopper - resilient as ever

I am starting to get the impression that all the stimulus being given to both the US and UK economies is overdone and motivated by fear of not doing the right things with the threat of depression looming. Bernanke is obsessed with the Great Depression and no doubt has influenced his Brirish counterparts.

And with the pound falling, as a net importer, prices of imported goods must go up.

Lastly for cultural reasons, Brits are incapable of holding off spending for long (unlike the Japanese or Germans for example).

For these reasons I think in the UK we WILL NOT have long term deflation as all the expert commentators are suggesting, but after a sharp fall in inflation (and maybe deflation for a short spell) , inflation will rise hugely.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

You sure it wasn't just because we all went to the Woolworths closing down sale?
    ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

I thought the stimulus was just to get Brown re-elected? Well, actually, elected in the first place......

Comment

Apparently alot of employers waiting for January to start the big layoffs. Retail sales could well plummet during 2009.

Comment

Its Christmas. People buy presents at Xmas.
          I didn't say it was your ******* fault, I said I was blaming you!

Comment

Originally posted by scooby View Post
            Its Christmas. People buy presents at Xmas.
            Yes, I do believe that is something the OP may have missed.

Comment

Originally posted by Purple Dalek View Post
              Yes, I do believe that is something the OP may have missed.
              Those were the November sales figures. They were higher than November last year.
              Suggests all the doom in the media is having less effect than we think.
              Or maybe the low interest rates are having an effect.
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

or people have been buying their xmas presents early.
                Last edited by DS23; 18 December 2008, 11:43. Reason: gar

Comment

Originally posted by DS23 View Post
                  or people have been buying their xmas presents early.
                  before losing their jobs.
                  I didn't say it was your ******* fault, I said I was blaming you!

Comment

exactly

Comment

Working...
                    X