• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agents really ought to get some techie knowledge

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agents really ought to get some techie knowledge

The following is part of a job spec sent to me:

For our client we are looking for an Expert in Rational
    Developer (RDz) Required Skills: We believe that you have at least 5
    years experience in the following areas: Eclipse Deep knowledge of RDz,
    including areas such as installation and customization
    The only problem is, RDz has only been available for under a couple of years so how is anyone meant to have 5 years experience of it?

<rant>This is one thing that really gets me about job specs and speaking to agents. A job spec will have a list of hundreds of acronyms of which you will probably have quite a few yet you are not considered suitable for the position. In my eyes therefore, the only person suitable is the person you are replacing. Other times you are told that you are not suitable because these TLAs are not on your profile yet you have used them extensively because they are part and parcel of a product, i.e. ISPF GML and file tailoring. If you have written large ISPF applications then you must have used these yet agents don't know this because they don't know what they are selling. The amount of times I have had conversations with agents and had to point out that what they require is actually part of the base operating system or product so I must have used it is getting to be silly. If I put down every product and sub-product on my CV then ot would be around 40 pages long, as it is I can only get it down to 8. </rant>
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

A salesman only ever sells himself.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post

The only problem is, RDz has only been available for under a couple of years so how is anyone meant to have 5 years experience of it?

<rant>This is one thing that really gets me about job specs and speaking to agents. A job spec will have a list of hundreds of acronyms of which you will probably have quite a few yet you are not considered suitable for the position. In my eyes therefore, the only person suitable is the person you are replacing. Other times you are told that you are not suitable because these TLAs are not on your profile yet you have used them extensively because they are part and parcel of a product, i.e. ISPF GML and file tailoring. If you have written large ISPF applications then you must have used these yet agents don't know this because they don't know what they are selling. The amount of times I have had conversations with agents and had to point out that what they require is actually part of the base operating system or product so I must have used it is getting to be silly. If I put down every product and sub-product on my CV then ot would be around 40 pages long, as it is I can only get it down to 8. </rant>
      Agree completely.

You could do a poll on this one and the Yes answer would practically be a head-count of experienced contractors on here.

Comment

Maybe they want to seperate out the bulltulipers?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          Maybe they want to seperate out the bulltulipers?
          They are the bulltulipters.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
            They are the bulltulipters.
            A few contractors can give them a run for their money......

Comment

Actually installing RDz at the moment so I can say that I'm now experienced in it. Don't know what to do with it afterwards as its all that new fangled Java stuff
              Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Easiest way to circumvent this is to put on your CV that you have the requisite number of year's experience. That might get you past the agent; if someone picks you up on it in the interview, just state that it is obviously nonsense and that the agent must have doctored the CV.
                "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

but an agent would never doctor a CV
                  "I'm more of a warrior than you'll ever be. I believe in the class war. I believe in the battle of the sexes. I believe in my tribe. I believe in the righteous, inteligent clued-up section of society against the brain-dead moronic masses as well as the mediocre, soulless bourgeoisie. I believe in punk rock. In northern soul. In acid house. In mod. In rock and roll. I also believe in pre commercial righteous, rap and hip hop. Thats my manifesto"

Comment

They really need to know how to make Google their friend on the Interweb.
                    If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Working...
                    X