• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Boomed

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boomed

For us oldies anyway: http://www.contractoruk.com/004128.html

Imagine all the policy bounds checkers and field validation routines that need modifying to handle zero percent interest rates. The entire insurance industry will be clambering to find COBOL programmers able to understand 30 year old code and everybody else will benefit as demand escalates.
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

the worry is that zero interest rates would cause an unpredictable chain reaction of destruction in the financial system."
    Just like CDO's then...
    Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
      I don't see that. If it throws an error, you fix it. But I don't think I ever once saw a program validate for interest rate > 0, and offhand I can't think of ever having divided by the interest rate; so I think that 0% will work fine.

Anyway, as for boom: last year I came across a COBOL contract that would have been really convenient for home, so I applied for it. No chance: my 20 years COBOL experience was not recent.

(Ignorant agent crap I suspect, not client, though there are stupid clients too).

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
        I don't see that. If it throws an error, you fix it. But I don't think I ever once saw a program validate for interest rate > 0, and offhand I can't think of ever having divided by the interest rate; so I think that 0% will work fine.

Anyway, as for boom: last year I came across a COBOL contract that would have been really convenient for home, so I applied for it. No chance: my 20 years COBOL experience was not recent.

(Ignorant agent crap I suspect, not client, though there are stupid clients too).
        Correct, but you really don't want the error to occur in the first place. Remember these programs are probably running in a batch window overnight with a number of other programs dependant on them along with the online systems. If an error occurs overnight, someone has to fix it, this means they will have to go through a whole plethora of tasks which take time causing online systems to be delayed. Better to go through the code first, look for possible errors, make changes and then run them on a test system to see what happens. For COBOL in particular there are tools to do this for you and its not too difficult to write something to go through source in whatever source control system you are using to search for possible problems of this type.

There are still plenty of COBOL (and PL/1) contracts going and the rates are going up all the time. In fact if you're good at COBOL you're going to get a much better rate than a Java programmer nowadays. The problem with 20 years old COBOL is that there have been a hell of a lot of changes. With LE it has become a lot more complex and in fact now there are interfaces into Java, XML, web, etc. People don't realise how much you can now do with it (there is even a COBOL IDE for Eclipse)
        Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

The problem with 20 years old COBOL is that there have been a hell of a lot of changes.
          As it happens, my COBOL isn't 20 years old. I have 20 years of COBOL experience, most recently about 8 years ago.

Comment

Correct, but you really don't want the error to occur in the first place. Remember these programs are probably running in a batch window overnight with a number of other programs dependant on them along with the online systems. If an error occurs overnight, someone has to fix it, this means they will have to go through a whole plethora of tasks which take time causing online systems to be delayed. Better to go through the code first, look for possible errors, make changes and then run them on a test system to see what happens. For COBOL in particular there are tools to do this for you and its not too difficult to write something to go through source in whatever source control system you are using to search for possible problems of this type.

There are still plenty of COBOL (and PL/1) contracts going and the rates are going up all the time. In fact if you're good at COBOL you're going to get a much better rate than a Java programmer nowadays. The problem with 20 years old COBOL is that there have been a hell of a lot of changes. With LE it has become a lot more complex and in fact now there are interfaces into Java, XML, web, etc. People don't realise how much you can now do with it (there is even a COBOL IDE for Eclipse)
            Yes grandad. What was the 2nd World War like? Did you fly a Spitfire?

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
              Yes grandad. What was the 2nd World War like? Did you fly a Spitfire?
              That's spooky. I was looking at my Spitfire manual last night. It's an original from WWII. Do you think it's worth anything?

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post

Hah! I read all about fat Y2K COBOL contracts more than a decade ago, but I couldn't get past the agents because I hadn't used the stuff within the last 3 months! I'd got oodles of experience with the thing, and in maintenance of antediluvian projects too, but not in the last 3 months.

To rub salt into the wound, the contracts were right on the doorstep too.
                Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Right then - got COBOL on me CV now - last used it last Wednesday - Procedure Division - sorted.

Profishinal Cobol fully experienced and can bring own Dog on site if security is a concern to the client.

Target Rate - Fiver .

Perfect.

Comment

Working...
                  X