• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Holding out for a better offer

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Holding out for a better offer

Ethical?

Got an offer - waiting for result from 2nd interview.

Would prefer 2nd one, but 1st one is mine if I want it.

Agent getting stroppy, giving me deadlines for a decision - what would you do...?

Tell the people you had the 2nd interview you got an offer and they need to hurry up deciding. Give THEM a deadline of the end of the day.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

i've heard of a technique which involves accepting but then wasting time by argueing over the contract.

If the other contract comes through then refuse to back down on certain contractual issues which you know the agency will never agree to.

If the 2nd contract is a no go then come to an agreement with contract 1

Not exactly ethical though!
      Coffee's for closers

Comment

look after number 1 i say, i'm with space cadet

Comment

depends how close knit the sector you work in is, i work in a industry where everyone tends to know each other and word can spread fast if they think a contractor is pulling a fast one not up to scratch etc, etc regardless of wether its true or not gossip flies and in some cases sticks wether you have done nothing wrong or not

i think your within your rights to take a while to consider a role, its when you agree then back out that things can go tits up
          "I'm more of a warrior than you'll ever be. I believe in the class war. I believe in the battle of the sexes. I believe in my tribe. I believe in the righteous, inteligent clued-up section of society against the brain-dead moronic masses as well as the mediocre, soulless bourgeoisie. I believe in punk rock. In northern soul. In acid house. In mod. In rock and roll. I also believe in pre commercial righteous, rap and hip hop. Thats my manifesto"

Comment

In the end clients and agents would not give a moments thought over screwing over a contractor, so look after number 1. Get the best deal you can.

Comment

Working...
            X