• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Doing work for old employer

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doing work for old employer

Newbie post here, so go easy. Been lurking for a while.

In typical newbie fashion, my first question is about IR35 (shock)...

Basically I've been contracting for over a year. My "contract job" falls flat inside IR35. The contract itself isn't particularly compliant, but the working practices are heavily inside IR35 with pretty strict D&C, MOO etc.

There was no travelling advantage to going umbrella, so I went Ltd and am basically paying 95% PAYE

But over the past year, my old employer has offered me quite a bit of consultancy work - about 50% of what my "day job" pays, for some evening and weekend work - almost all of it done with my own equipment on my own premises. No D&C - No MOO. Roughtly half of it is fixed price work for a specific deliverable (Purchase Order raised etc.) and the rest a support arrangement for systems still in place.

I've also done some similar work for another firm in the same industry (relatively small in comparison though).

I'm currently operating this as "outside IR35" as I genuinely feel that this is self-employed work. It's certainly not a "Friday to Monday contractor" arrangement.

However, I do know that HMRC are very jumpy on contractors working for old salaried employers.

Anyone had any issues in this respect?

I doubt you need to worry, and especially for the fixed price work that'll allow you to demonstrate financial risk. My Plan B involves an ex-employer, but the way it works any suggestion of "psuedo employment" would be laughable.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
    X