• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

DIY grocery shopping

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY grocery shopping

My local Sainburys have got shot of their checkout people and replaced them with scales.

I've not used any self-scan schemes before, where you take a scanner around with you and whatnot. This system appears to work differently. You do your shopping as usual, but when you get to the checkout there's no cashier and you play the part of the cashier. You scan your goods and put them into a bag which rests on a scale. The system checks that the weight goes up by the expected amount.

I thought I'd put the system through its paces, and put two cans of beans in (my own) bag instead of just the one can scanned. The system gave a message and a guy said "ah, you've got your own bag". "Yes, shall I start again", I said. "No, I'll just reset the scales" he said. So he tapped in his code and I was off and running again, having not paid for the second can of beans. After scanning your stuff, you press Done and pay as normal. Job's a good 'un. I'm not sure whether this system will speed up shopping (probably not - avoid grannies) as the shop appeared to be quieter than usual.

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    My local Sainburys have got shot of their checkout people and replaced them with scales.

I've not used any self-scan schemes before, where you take a scanner around with you and whatnot. This system appears to work differently. You do your shopping as usual, but when you get to the checkout there's no cashier and you play the part of the cashier. You scan your goods and put them into a bag which rests on a scale. The system checks that the weight goes up by the expected amount.

I thought I'd put the system through its paces, and put two cans of beans in (my own) bag instead of just the one can scanned. The system gave a message and a guy said "ah, you've got your own bag". "Yes, shall I start again", I said. "No, I'll just reset the scales" he said. So he tapped in his code and I was off and running again, having not paid for the second can of beans. After scanning your stuff, you press Done and pay as normal. Job's a good 'un. I'm not sure whether this system will speed up shopping (probably not - avoid grannies) as the shop appeared to be quieter than usual.

For a few items once you get used to it and do everything in the correct sequence it's usually quicker - only because there's less of a queue. If you have a problem though it can be a pain. So the butler tells me.
    ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

You do your shopping as usual, but when you get to the checkout there's no cashier
      It's only fayre.

Rhubarb.

Comment

This system appears to work differently. You do your shopping as usual, but when you get to the checkout there's no cashier and you play the part of the cashier. You scan your goods and put them into a bag which rests on a scale.
        Welcome to 2003

Comment

Well done.

Not only have you proved you have the intellect to work in your local Asda, you also managed to steal some baked beans.

Congrats on gaining your Chavability NVQ level 1

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
            For a few items once you get used to it and do everything in the correct sequence it's usually quicker - only because there's less of a queue. If you have a problem though it can be a pain. So the butler tells me.
            If (like me) you usually have some wine in your basket then it is a pain.

Comment

Which comedian quipped "I went to the self-service checkout the other day, you know, the one with 2 checkout assistants ... "

Bill Bailey I think

Comment

Originally posted by basshead View Post
                Welcome to 2003
                I've seen (but not used) self-service check-outs in Waitrose in operation many moons ago, where you carry a scanner as you shop and I think you also had to join the scheme or something. Anyway, there were only one or two tills dedicated to this quite unused self-service. Yesterday was the first time I've walked into a supermarket and all the tills were self-service, and there was no special scheme to join or anything to do differently from usual, except you do cashiers work. Are you telling me that what I'm describing was being done back in 2003?

Comment

Personally, I find it quicker just to go to a normal cashier. By the time I've put my shopping on the conveyer, I am next to be served anyway. The problem I had with Tesco was that their self-service did not handle points, which seemed a bit stupid !!

Comment

I use self serve every day when buying my breakfast at tesco. I think they are great.

Comment

Working...
                    X