• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Turkey Booms with Bush ByeBye Boots

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turkey Booms with Bush ByeBye Boots

Their deployment as a makeshift missile robbed President George Bush of his dignity and landed their owner in jail. But the world's most notorious pair of shoes have yielded an unexpected bonanza for a Turkish shoemaker.

Ramazan Baydan, owner of the Istanbul-based Baydan Shoe Company, has been swamped with orders from across the world, after insisting that his company produced the black leather shoes which the Iraqi journalist Muntazar al-Zaidi threw at Bush during a press conference in Baghdad last Sunday.

Baydan has recruited an extra 100 staff to meet orders for 300,000 pairs of Model 271 - more than four times the shoe's normal annual sale - following an outpouring of support for Zaidi's act, which was intended as a protest, but led to his arrest by Iraqi security forces.

Orders have come mainly from the US and Britain, and from neighbouring Muslim countries, he said.

Around 120,000 pairs have been ordered from Iraq, while a US company has placed a request for 18,000. A British firm is understood to have offered to serve as European distributor for the shoes, which have been on the market since 1999 and sell at around £28 in Turkey. A sharp rise in orders has been recorded in Syria, Egypt and Iran, where the main shoemaker's federation has offered to provide Zaidi and his family with a lifetime's supply of shoes.

To meet the mood of the marketplace, Baydan is planning to rename the model "the Bush Shoe" or "Bye-Bye Bush".

"We've been selling these shoes for years but, thanks to Bush, orders are flying in like crazy. We've even hired an agency to look at television advertising," he said.

Zaidi has been in custody since the shoe-throwing incident, amid claims that he has been badly beaten. He faces a possible jail sentence for insulting a foreign leader, but has reportedly apologised and requested a pardon from Iraq's prime minister, Nouri al-Malik

Genius Sun headline:

Bush chucker trial
    IRAQIS take to streets to demand release of man who threw shoes at George Bush

Comment

Too big for his boots if you ask me.

If you saw the video - I thought Bush was surpisingly agile in ducking the boots he threw.

Comment

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
        Too big for his boots if you ask me.

If you saw the video - I thought Bush was surpisingly agile in ducking the boots he threw.
        More agile than Ian Hislop, who was skewered by a Clarkson thrown pen.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz....html?ITO=1490

Comment

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
          I thought Bush was surpisingly agile in ducking the boots he threw.
          He (and any other high ranking person) must have had training on how to do that to save his life. Either that or his wifes throws stuff at him at home.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            He (and any other high ranking person) must have had training on how to do that to save his life. Either that or his wifes throws stuff at him at home.
            Probably the latter (avoiding kitchen pots etc) ...nice one AtW !

Comment

Working...
            X