• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Which of these skills are in demand?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which of these skills are in demand?

HTML
    XHTML
    CSS
    TCP/IP

XML Tutorials
    XML
    XSL
    XSLT
    XSL-FO
    XPath
    XQuery
    DTD
    Schema
    XML DOM
    XForms
    SOAP
    WSDL
    RDF
    WAP

Browser Scripting
    JavaScript
    DHTML
    VBScript
    HTML DOM
    WMLScript

Server Scripting
    SQL
    ASP
    ADO
    PHP

.NET (dotnet)
    .NET Microsoft
    .NET ASP
    .NET Mobile

Multimedia
    Media
    SMIL
    SVG
    Flash

Which of these skills is in demand?

I’d like to pick-up some new skills and want to know which ones of the above are a) in demand, b) not too tricky for a non-programmer to pick up (I’ve used HTML, CSS and XML and done a tiny bit of VB and PHP, but am a Web Editor by trade). Any idea of rates for these skills would be useful too.

SAP? D'you mean SOAP? Or ASP? Or something else? Too many acronyms!

Comment

gaaaawd... google it ..SAP

Comment

SAP ...HTH

Comment

blimey!!!!! (thought I'd try over-reacting too!)

never heard of SAP so can't be that much in demand. Plus, reading the words Systems, Applications and Products in Data Processing make me feel sleepy.

zzzzzzzzzzz

Comment

I would learn .NET, and extend your XML skills while you're at it. I'm not sure but I think SOAP (the non-perfumed variety), uses XML.

So focus on .NET and once your familiar start to learn SOAP and the other XML "gubbins".

Comment

mate have you been living in a cave ??? SAP is the most wanted skill at the moment.. ...
              but thanks for the laugh (not heard of SAP .... you shouldn't be in IT)

Comment

As I said, I "am a Web Editor by trade", not a developer. Don't need to know about SAP and have been kept in regular employment for 4 years by some very well-known big companies without having heard of it.

Do you understand how to write grammatically? How to write persuasive copy? How to write for search engine optimisation? In case you hadn't noticed, IT goes a little further than just the development side of things these days. You might be surprised to learn that you don't know everything that goes into making a website. Might be time for you to learn though. As a Web Editor, my main duty is writing web copy - something that's unlikely to be outsourced overseas, so I'm pretty confident I'll be in IT for a while to come actually...

Comment

Ooo

Very defensive about your skills thom234....I am guessing you'd love a bit of the £400+ per day us dev's get

Comment

You need to get out more, Thom

SAP has been around about 20 years, is probably the biggest MRP appliation out there and is pretty well the industry standard that the other MRP people have to match (which they are, these days)

And going back to the top - if you're not bringing program developement structure to your web designing, you're probably not doing it right IMHO - it's not about languages, it's about design and logic.Any damn fool can learn a language with a fixed syntax and 30 verbs, it's how you use it that's the tricky bit.

Comment

Working...
                    X