• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Debt collectors and court threats

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Debt collectors and court threats

An unpaid mobile phone bill of £50 has gone unpaid by a colleague of mine. This has now been passed to a debt collection agency, who have gone and bumped it up to £80 (to cover their fee methinks).

The state of play is that they are threatening court action now. Do you think they would bother taking someone to court over what is generally a small amount (compared to court costs etc)?

Originally posted by TazMaN View Post
    An unpaid mobile phone bill of £50 has gone unpaid by a colleague of mine. This has now been passed to a debt collection agency, who have gone and bumped it up to £80 (to cover their fee methinks).

The state of play is that they are threatening court action now. Do you think they would bother taking someone to court over what is generally a small amount (compared to court costs etc)?
    Yes.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

they will probably keep adding charges and penalties until it does become worth their while.

Just pay it and move on.

Comment

The fees will increase significantly by the time the case gets to court.

Does your collegue have any reason not to pay the amount due?
        McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
        Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
          they will probably keep adding charges and penalties until it does become worth their while.

Just pay it and move on.
          WHS. That's how they work. Every letter they send will cost more than the last until they send bailiffs and add the charge for their visit; by then the total will probably be much more than 500 pounds.
          And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

yes as your colleague will be liable for costs too

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
              The fees will increase significantly by the time the case gets to court.
              Unlikely (unless you call £50 significant) - the total amount is very low so it will go to small claims court where solicitor fees can't be recovered and actual court fee is very low.

This does not mean one should ignore this issue - if you have a debt then you should pay it.

Comment

I got hassled for 15 quid from plus.net when I gave up my broadband, the service was pay as you go and I objected to paying an exit fee.

The debt collectors they passed the debt on to threatened me with court action at which point I called them and invited them to do so. Never heard a peep out of them again.

For all I know I am listed as a bad payer on equifax but you can state your reason for not paying with them and it is up to the next potential creditor to decide the risk involved.

If he has a valid reason for not paying it let each party know by recorded letter.

Comment

For the sake of £80 just pay it?
                  The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                    Unlikely (unless you call £50 significant) - the total amount is very low so it will go to small claims court where solicitor fees can't be recovered and actual court fee is very low.

This does not mean one should ignore this issue - if you have a debt then you should pay it.

Its actually £80 now... But never the less. if the colleague has a reason to dispute the fee - then he should send this to the company. My wife threatens them with proceedings..that works sometimes!
                    McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
                    Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Working...
                    X