• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ken Livingstone - Sensitive Soul

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ken Livingstone - Sensitive Soul

Don't know if the board has already seen this - if so my humblest apologies - if not

'Don't turn away' bomber families

06-09-2005

BBC News OnLine:

Families of the 7 July suicide bombers should be allowed to attend the national memorial service for the victims, according to London's mayor.

Ken Livingstone said they should not be turned away from the 1 November mass at St Paul's Cathedral for the 52 victims.

The event is billed as a service for those who died and a tribute to police, firefighters and paramedics.

Church leaders would like the bombers' families to attend but only with approval from the bereaved and injured.

Speaking at his weekly press conference at City Hall, Mr Livingstone said: "They have to decide if they want to come and share the grief of Londoners and celebrate the lives of those that were killed on the day.

More anger

"It would, I think, be particularly offensive to turn people away."

Members of the Royal Family, senior politicians and leaders from different faiths are set to attend.

Jack Nicholls, Bishop of Sheffield, said: "The families should be consulted on such an issue.

"If such a suggestion were to bring more anger between communities it would not be a risk worth taking.

"In an ideal situation it would be good for all to be able to express their grief and sorrow together and begin to look forward to building a better future where Muslim and Christian and people of any faith or none could live together in harmony."

Brian Coleman, the Tory deputy chairman of the London Assembly, labelled the idea of bombers' families attending as "political correctness gone mad", adding: "You wouldn't invite a murderer's family to the victim's funeral."

Shehzad Tanweer, 22, and Germaine Lindsay, 19, and Mohammad Sidique Khan, 30, detonated their bombs on Tube trains almost simultaneously at 0850 BST on 7 July.

Hasib Hussain, 18, blew up the Number 30 bus at Tavistock Square shortly afterwards at 0947 BST.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4220836.stm

Can see both sides - the bombers families also lost someone and they should be allowed to attend. However, if it was one of my family members who died as a result, I wouldn't be best pleased to see them there.

Comment

Originally posted by John Galt

The event is billed as a service for those who died and a tribute to police, firefighters and paramedics.
      Not for the benefit of those related to those responsible for the deaths.

Originally posted by John Galt
      "You wouldn't invite a murderer's family to the victim's funeral."
      Exactly.
      Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Some of those family members were appaled at the outrage their relations had commited.
        They should be allowed to attend.
        They should maybe allowed to speak to condemn the attrocities and offer the heartfelt regret of the community that spawned these mad men.
        I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
        Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

I can't belive this is even subject to debate. The bombers parents should not be allowed to the victims memorial because it was their warped offspring caused the deaths of everybody else. Had it not been for their warped views on Islam, then 52 people would still be alive today.

If the bombers parents want a memorial then it should be seperate event to the one held for the victims.
          Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Working...
          X