• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Any idea why

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any idea why

they (soldiers in the tank) did not open fire?

I wonder how many armies in the world would behave like this -- they ought to give medal to those guys for not making things worse by shooting a bunch of people there.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/mid...st/4271234.stm

Thought it was MC Hammer in the middle of the picture! Realised that the baggy trousers weren't goldy enough!

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
      they (soldiers in the tank) did not open fire?
      Because they are, at heart, peace loving people, brought up in a christian influenced, turn the other cheek, culture, and not savages?
      Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
      threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

No ammunition ?
        Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Comment

Simple

they knew they were on the telly.

Comment

Too much feckin' paperwork after the event...

Comment

It's obvious they don't want us there so let's just leave quietly and let them get on with it.
              Ungrateful so and so's.

Comment

Actually, one of them did shoot.

"They saw Second Lieutenant Cliffe jump from his vehicle, followed quickly by his gunner.

Knowing his life was in danger, one of the soldiers fired into the mob and he scrambled to safety. But the Iraqi casualties had little impact on the rioters. “They backed off, but only for a small period. Gunfire is a daily occurrence for them,” Company Sergeant-Major John Sheard said."

These days you have to look further than the BBC for your news.

Comment

Originally posted by planetit
                  These days you have to look further than the BBC for your news.
                  Absolutely right planetit - they don't even acknowledge the term terrorist, preferring to use the government advised term (and FFS, don't upset the ethnics) "bomber".

http://news.telegraph.co.uk/news/mai.../12/nbbc12.xml

The BBC's guidelines state that its credibility is undermined by the "careless use of words which carry emotional or value judgments".
                  F cuking peruvian hat wearing, lentil eating, fairtrade coffee drinking pinkos...
                  If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

why is bomber better than terrorist and in what way using the word terrorist carry an emotional judgement?
                    Can't be bothered to look at the proper dictionary definition, but I would guess that terrorist means someone who creates terror. Surely that would be acknowledged even by the BBC?

I think someone in there wants to outnewlabour New Labour. Mind you they have competition what with Galloway, Livingstone and all those loonies. Great times!
                    Chico, what time is it?

Comment

Working...
                    X