• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anybody knows much about PSU currents?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anybody knows much about PSU currents?

I've got a box that reboots itself due to some unknown error from time to time, I have no idea WTF -- changed memory, drives etc -- it seems to do that under high CPU load, which made me suspect overheating but I doubt it was the case but anyway I am now monitoring it using handy utility.

This utility displays tempreture as well as currents, and what I notice is that PSU's currents are these:

+3.3 -> 3.38 V (actual reading)
    + 5.00 -> 5.03V
    + 12.00 -> 12.28

-12.00 -> -16.20 <---- now this is way different from nominal, but PC currently runs, can this present a problem?!?!?!

- 5.00 -> 6.13 (considerably higher)

Originally posted by AtW
    +3.3 -> 3.38 V (actual reading)
    + 5.00 -> 5.03V
    + 12.00 -> 12.28

-12.00 -> -16.20 <---- now this is way different from nominal, but PC currently runs, can this present a problem?!?!?!

These are not currents.

HTH.

p.s. the clue is in the "V"

Comment

change the PSU - they are only about £40 for a half decent one.
      SA says;
      Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

I couldn't imagine you ever having a hair out of place!

n5gooner is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
      (whatever these are)

Comment

You not helping plain-tit - if you know so much about Voltage then tell me if recorded values above are not right.

I have a spare PSU but its for more modern box and it did not fit in well, so I could not test with new PSU

Comment

Originally posted by AtW

If your -5V is pushing out +6.13 I would say you have probably blown something up by now.

-12V probably should probably have better than 10% tolerance. The only obvious thing that may use this is the 232 drivers if the box has any serial ports, but then again modern chipsets who knows.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
            I have a spare PSU but its for more modern box and it did not fit in well, so I could not test with new PSU
            if you're only testing the PSU, you don't need to have it tidily in the case. Just balance it somewhere plug it all in and test it. If all looks ok, you need a new PSU that does fit. If you're still getting odd reading, best check your components and mobo

Comment

On MicroDirect a 600W PSU is £21. Cheap as chips.

At that price I'd buy one and swap it out. If it solves the problem great. If not, at least you have a spare PSU for when this one fails.

I had problems with lockups and reboots on PC running 100% CPU 24/7. CPU was getting too hot. A big heatsink and fan solved all my instability probs.

Comment

Good points guys -- PC is running fine -- CPU cooler was dustry and I cleaned it, perhaps this is helping?

So, the consensus is that I should change PSU anyway? I have to admit I a bit chickened out with new PSU that did not fit, decided to check if cleaning up cooler help testing the theory that under high CPU usage (and this is when PC was rebooting) CPU would overheat and internal protection will kick in (BIOS got setting).

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn
                  On MicroDirect a 600W PSU is £21. Cheap as chips.

At that price I'd buy one and swap it out. If it solves the problem great. If not, at least you have a spare PSU for when this one fails.

I had problems with lockups and reboots on PC running 100% CPU 24/7. CPU was getting too hot. A big heatsink and fan solved all my instability probs.

ebuyer do them for about £5
                  SA says;
                  Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

I couldn't imagine you ever having a hair out of place!

n5gooner is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
                  (whatever these are)

Comment

Originally posted by n5gooner
                    ebuyer do them for about £5
                    Or if you would prefer your PC to run quietly and not sound like an aeroplane, try spending a little bit more and pick up something from the likes of quietpc.com.

Ok, it's a bit more than a 'little bit' but I hate noisy PC's with a passion!

Comment

Working...
                    X